Injury caused Popeye

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this swallowtail angel for somewhere around 3 years. Earlier today she was looking fine but clearly her eye is popping out now. She is super healthy, well maybe a bit overweight, but this is obviously from an injury. She is about 5 inches long and over an inch in width lol. She occasionally gets into an argument with my Potters angel so I’m sure this was the cause.
IMG_2267.jpeg
The question is should I just leave her alone or do I try and move her to a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics?
IMG_2265.jpeg
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had this swallowtail angel for somewhere around 3 years. Earlier today she was looking fine but clearly her eye is popping out now. She is super healthy, well maybe a bit overweight, but this is obviously from an injury. She is about 5 inches long and over an inch in width lol. She occasionally gets into an argument with my Potters angel so I’m sure this was the cause.
IMG_2267.jpeg
The question is should I just leave her alone or do I try and move her to a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics?
IMG_2265.jpeg
@Jay Hemdal
This is one that may heal on its own but to assure no infection or cloudy eye, you can quarantine and treat with seachem neoplex or Maracyn - Not Maracyn oxy which is ethromyacin and will promote healing.

1695169497355.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2265.jpeg
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

As long as it is still eating, I wouldn't treat it. This sort of eye damage can take a long time to heal - 4 to 6 weeks sometimes.

As said, the treatment would be erythromycin in a treatment tank, however, catching this fish up and moving it to a small tank is that exact sort of thing that causes physical damage, so you could injure it worse, or even injure the other eye....so you have to be very careful.

Jay

OP
OP
Xanthurum

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from it looking horrible the eye does not seem to be bothering her. She is nearly as active as usual and she seems to be just as glutinous as usual. Hopefully she makes a quick and full recovery.

OP
OP
Xanthurum

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081
Update on the eye. It looks like there is a large air bubble that has formed within the eye skin. She is still eating like usual but is having to swim with her head down a bit and this is clearly having an impact on bouyancy. The question is should I bet her and release the air with a needle?
IMG_2307.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081
Update on the eye. It looks like there is a large air bubble that has formed within the eye skin. She is still eating like usual but is having to swim with her head down a bit and this is clearly having an impact on bouyancy. The question is should I bet her and release the air with a needle?
IMG_2307.jpeg

If you see air bubbles, that is a bad sign. I have needled dozens of these cases, and the bubbles always come back. The trouble is that catching the fish and holding it to needle it just reinforces the injury that caused this in the first place. In some cases, the eye will be lost. In other cases, the fish dies from this.

Here is a link to an article I had written on fish eye health:

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about lancing it? The bubble is pretty big

As I mentioned, lancing, or drawing off the gas from inside the eye, rarely works (at least for me). I know it seems to be the best course of action in these cases, but it just never seems to work.

Jay

OP
OP
Xanthurum

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the bubble, which has gotten bigger, the eye seems to be healing. It almost looks like if the bubble popped the eye would go back to normal. Almost like the bubble is the only thing keeping it out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the bubble, which has gotten bigger, the eye seems to be healing. It almost looks like if the bubble popped the eye would go back to normal. Almost like the bubble is the only thing keeping it out.

Well, you could try drawing it off, you need a tuberculin syringe/needle. Just handle the fish carefully and don't chase it to catch it, you risk injuring the other eye. I typically use MS-222 anesthetic, but you won't have access to that.

Jay

OP
OP
Xanthurum

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, the fish is doing great! She inadvertently popped the eye bubbles while I was trying to catch her so that I could lance the eye. While her eye has not fully healed it has certainly gotten a lot better. It is hardly noticeable and I feel confident in saying that I am not worried about any problems arising.

OP
OP
Xanthurum

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felt like sharing my girls progress. I don’t think her eye will ever get back to looking the way it did prior to the injury but I am very impressed with how it has healed. Pretty soon I will be setting up a new and MUCH LARGER tank and I am getting another smaller female so this girl will likely transition. Here is an updated pic I took today to show how her eye has healed.
IMG_2516.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back