Strange patch under right eye of hippo tang

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo tang was rescued in July by a friend of mine and I got her a month later. She was stunted from being in a 180 with far too many fish. She was about 3 inches from head to tail when I got her. She was 3 years old at that point. She had HLLE but it’s been healing. She’s grown a good 2 inches in length since August and she’s gone from skin and bones to being about half an inch thick.

Tonight I noticed this under her right eye.

IMG_6583.jpeg

You can see where this large HLLE spot has been healing but this patch now has what looks like algae growing in it. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just where it’s healing? This used to be a crater. It’s far better now.

@vetteguy53081, @Jay Hemdal, and anyone else who has seen this and or experienced this and can tell me what it is, please let me know.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo tang was rescued in July by a friend of mine and I got her a month later. She was stunted from being in a 180 with far too many fish. She was about 3 inches from head to tail when I got her. She was 3 years old at that point. She had HLLE but it’s been healing. She’s grown a good 2 inches in length since August and she’s gone from skin and bones to being about half an inch thick.

IMG_6583.jpeg

You can see where this large HLLE spot has been healing but this patch now has what looks like algae growing in it. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just where it’s healing? This used to be a crater. It’s far better now.

@vetteguy53081, @Jay Hemdal, and anyone else who has seen this and or experienced this and can tell me what it is, please let me know.
Do the brown spots actually look like a brown skin color rather then an actual growth or spot on the fish? As if the spot is a fading of the color to brownish? Do you notice this all the time, or just during some times?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not a scab like feature I have no idea. The pores seem to be discolored the same way. Glad it is getting better and hope this isn't some new issue.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only spot you’re noticing I doubt it’s black ich
Is she eating regularly?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not a scab like feature I have no idea. The pores seem to be discolored the same way. Glad it is getting better and hope this isn't some new issue.
Possibly stress related any aggression with other fish? Does it look like it’s getting bigger or spreading?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_6583.jpeg

Im going to need a better and clearer pic to accurately assess this. Can be HLLE, post injury or infection but right now just a mere guess

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the brown spots actually look like a brown skin color rather then an actual growth or spot on the fish? As if the spot is a fading of the color to brownish? Do you notice this all the time, or just during some times?

Yes it does but it’s not as noticeable at different light angles. This is fairly new.

I appreciate that. It’s not a scab and the pores do look that color too so I’m leaning towards the spots healing and possibly getting ready to turn blue like the rest of that spot.

Is that the only spot you’re noticing I doubt it’s black ich
Is she eating regularly?

It’s also on the other side in some of the holes. It’s not as noticeable on the other side but the holes are smaller on that side.

She’s eating quite well. She eats more than any other fish in there, quite possibly more than all my other fish combined.

Possibly stress related any aggression with other fish? Does it look like it’s getting bigger or spreading?

There’s no aggression. She’s the biggest fish in the tank. She’s actually gotten much better since I’ve had her. This is fairly new. If she’s stressed out she’s not acting like it. She’s always out and pecks at the rocks, acting normal and happy.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to need a better and clearer pic to accurately assess this. Can be HLLE, post injury or infection but right now just a mere guess
Ok I’ll try to get one. She’s an active swimmer so it’s hard to get a good picture. She definitely has HLLE but it’s been healing. The patch in question was deeper and gray. Now it’s getting some blue in it but it’s also got the algae looking coloration in it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok I’ll try to get one. She’s an active swimmer so it’s hard to get a good picture. She definitely has HLLE but it’s been healing. The patch in question was deeper and gray. Now it’s getting some blue in it but it’s also got the algae looking coloration in it.
I can see discoloration and bacterial is a suspect

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see a circular, superficial pattern on a fish, I always suspect a minor bacterial infection (think how ringworm grows, or how bacteria on a petri dish forms colonies).

If new spots don't develop, this one stops getting larger, and no other symptoms develop (not eating, rapid breathing, etc.) I would be inclined to just watch it closely.

Treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank.

Jay

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see a circular, superficial pattern on a fish, I always suspect a minor bacterial infection (think how ringworm grows, or how bacteria on a petri dish forms colonies).

If new spots don't develop, this one stops getting larger, and no other symptoms develop (not eating, rapid breathing, etc.) I would be inclined to just watch it closely.

Treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank.

Jay
Thank you @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 for your help. I only see this in pre existing HLLE spots and I checked on her about 5 minutes ago and nothing has changed. I’ll watch it closely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back