Clownfish - Could this be brook? Lymphocystis? Fungal?

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

About a week ago I noticed a slight white mark on my clowns face. It looked as if she might have bumped into a rock and it was healing. Since then, its been getting worse and I noticed a second spot on her dorsal fin. She has been eating well without any noticeable behavioral changes. Being from Canada I'm quite limited on medications. Let me know what you guys think. Appreciate it!

I'll post water parameters shortly.

Car1.JPG Car2.JPG Car3.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank
How long ago did you add this or any fish
Did you QT the fish

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank
How long ago did you add this or any fish
Did you QT the fish
Tank is two months old. I added this clown and another clown three weeks ago. They are the first and only fish in the tank. I did not QT them. Other clown is not showing any signs of similar marks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys!

About a week ago I noticed a slight white mark on my clowns face. It looked as if she might have bumped into a rock and it was healing. Since then, its been getting worse and I noticed a second spot on her dorsal fin. She has been eating well without any noticeable behavioral changes. Being from Canada I'm quite limited on medications. Let me know what you guys think. Appreciate it!

I'll post water parameters shortly.

Car1.JPG Car2.JPG Car3.JPG
Please provide pics under bright white light, no blue as preliminarily appears to be heavy mucus associated with brooklynella and often starts at the facial area and travels into the gills causing heavy breathing, loss of appetite and lethargic behavior

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the main reasons clowns get lesions like this is mating behavior. if there is only one clown on the tank - they can sometimes still try to clean rock, etc. However that doesn't explain the dorsal fin - which as others have said is difficult to see. what else is in the tank? (Post edited OP had answered some of my questions:))

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When there are two new clowns in a tank, and one has marks and the other is totally clean, aggression is the first thing that comes to mind.

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying so hard to get a good picture. These may be slightly better? I have never seen them nip at each other, but I know clowns can act differently when you're in the room with them haha. It's a 20 gal AIO desktop that sits on my GFs desk in her office. She has not noticed them being aggressive towards each other. The only other livestock in the tank are 3 snail CUC members and a tiny candy cane pistol shrimp that got added all once last week. CUC include nessarius, trochus and astraea snail. The CUC members were added right around the same time I noticed the marks? Could be significant.

Attachments

• DSC00084.JPG
    DSC00084.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00091.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
C

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more pictures

Attachments

• DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00113.JPG
    DSC00113.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 19

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some more pictures

Clownfish with mouth damage like this is very often aggression. The mark on the dorsal fin is less likely aggression, but still possible.

Can you put in a tank divider?

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could probably DIY something with some extra netting! Thank you for the input. I'll keep you guys posted.

OP
OP
C

CudasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Looks like the growths are getting more hard looking. Definitely affecting her dorsal fin more. Still eating/swimming full of energy. I can get my hands on some Metroplex/Kanaplex. Maybe it's time to QT and run some meds? Still thinking it looks like damage from aggression? I've been feeding vitamin soaked foods since my last post thinking it may have been lymphocystis. Still not witnessing any aggression. @Jay Hemdal. I'll post a video from my phone in a minute.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back