question about my clownfish

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is my clownfish ok she looks fine to me but i have noticed lately that shes been scratching on the glass and been yawning more lately and eating less but other than that she has been acting normall heres a vid of her thanks in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
is my clownfish ok she looks fine to me but i have noticed lately that shes been scratching on the glass and been yawning more lately and eating less but other than that she has been acting normall heres a vid of her thanks in advance

The symptoms you describe and the wobbly swim pattern suggest the clown has early stages of Brooklynella which is referred to as clown disease. the yawning is likely the mucus build up its acquiring. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro which can be used in the display tank. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms you describe and the wobbly swim pattern suggest the clown has early stages of Brooklynella which is referred to as clown disease. the yawning is likely the mucus build up its acquiring. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro which can be used in the display tank. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
shes been like this for a week, i thought brookynella kills fish in a matter of days?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
shes been like this for a week, i thought brookynella kills fish in a matter of days?
Not necessarily. Its progressive and once clown is fully infected- it will be enveloped in slime and as mentioned develop secondary bacterial lesions which looks like ich.
Signs of brook are typically what was mentioned, weird swimming pattern and hiding

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. Its progressive and once clown is fully infected- it will be enveloped in slime and as mentioned develop secondary bacterial lesions which looks like ich.
Signs of brook are typically what was mentioned, weird swimming pattern and hiding
ok got it thank you ill order that medicine and hopefully i can save her ive been feeding her quadflakes anti parasite since i wasnt sure what was bothering her

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would metro flake help fight off brookynella?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
would metro flake help fight off brookynella?
Not really and I dont recommend it unless there is an internal issue plus its often misused as requited is .5gm weight which is a tiny amount and makes food taste bitter to the critters

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really and I dont recommend it unless there is an internal issue plus its often misused as requited is .5gm weight which is a tiny amount and makes food taste bitter to the critters
oh ok because i didnt make the flakes itself i bought the medicated flakes from everything aquatics and i only ask since I saw that metro helps fights brookynella as well since i dont have the ruby rally pro yet i also notice a small white poop even though its not as stringy as most of the pics I've seen it is white.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ok because i didnt make the flakes itself i bought the medicated flakes from everything aquatics and i only ask since I saw that metro helps fights brookynella as well since i dont have the ruby rally pro yet i also notice a small white poop even though its not as stringy as most of the pics I've seen it is white.
Metro flakes can help with some causes of white feces. It does work in the food against Brooklynella. Adding it to the water, where it can more easily reach these external parasites might work better, but formalin is still the best treatment, followed by ruby reef.

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro flakes can help with some causes of white feces. It does work in the food against Brooklynella. Adding it to the water, where it can more easily reach these external parasites might work better, but formalin is still the best treatment, followed by ruby reef.
got it thank you, however i just dont see any sign of brookynella at the moment she looks fine physically no white spot or excess mucous coming out of her just not eating as much and somewhat scratching and yawning.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
got it thank you, however i just dont see any sign of brookynella at the moment she looks fine physically no white spot or excess mucous coming out of her just not eating as much and somewhat scratching and yawning.
How is fish swimming pattern? Can you post a video under white light intensity ?

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing which alarms me at all.
I’d wait to get a better picture, but be prepared if things go south.
ill record a video again later with white light and ill let you decide if you notice something is wrong with her.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
heres the new video thank you

Often , its a problem to view a video as they are too short and yours was lengthy and perfect amount of viewing time. While a little fuzzy (hoping to get a good view of skin, the swimming pattern I mentioned (wobbly) is clear in video. Yu can treat the tank without moving the fish with Ruby Rally Pro which will address brook and many other issues safely
@Jay Hemdal too is familiar with this swim pattern. Lets see what he too thinks

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often , its a problem to view a video as they are too short and yours was lengthy and perfect amount of viewing time. While a little fuzzy (hoping to get a good view of skin, the swimming pattern I mentioned (wobbly) is clear in video. Yu can treat the tank without moving the fish with Ruby Rally Pro which will address brook and many other issues safely
@Jay Hemdal too is familiar with this swim pattern. Lets see what he too thinks
i ordered it, should be here friday so its reef safe i dont want any of my corals to die ive never used it before

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i ordered it, should be here friday so its reef safe i dont want any of my corals to die ive never used it before
Reef safe- Yes

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great so i have 10 gallon do i just keep using it for one week straight sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure my clowns will be ok

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back