OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal update on my clown i put both of them in seperated tank and treated them with ruby rally pro. now theyre back she looks the same as she was before…. shes eating but not as much as she use to. before she would eat voraciously and now she eats but not as much anymore, she looks healthy but is it normal for clowns to just lose appetite shes been more aggresive towards my blue damsel as well sorry for the ranting just want to make sure she is healthy could it be shes now trying to nest to breed thank you in advance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal update on my clown i put both of them in seperated tank and treated them with ruby rally pro. now theyre back she looks the same as she was before…. shes eating but not as much as she use to. before she would eat voraciously and now she eats but not as much anymore, she looks healthy but is it normal for clowns to just lose appetite shes been more aggresive towards my blue damsel as well sorry for the ranting just want to make sure she is healthy could it be shes now trying to nest to breed thank you in advance.

She looks really good, heavy bodied means that she is getting enough food.

Jay

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks really good, heavy bodied means that she is getting enough food.

Jay
thats great to hear, like i said i was very concern since she hasn't eaten as much as she use to but as long as she looks healthy im good with it she is probably finding food in the tank i dont know about. thank you again have a great day.

killerinstinct

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms you describe and the wobbly swim pattern suggest the clown has early stages of Brooklynella which is referred to as clown disease. the yawning is likely the mucus build up its acquiring. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro which can be used in the display tank. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ruby Rally takes 2-3 days to begin working so you should see improvement very shortly

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 i have a new video of my clown she now keeps scratching her face on the glass and still yawning. i was wondering can this be gill fluke? the video i have is right after i fed her praziquantel flakes from everythingaquatics. (ps. I did a ruby rally pro for 3 days in a qt tank for 3 days and even did a prazipro for 2 weeks this is why i change the idea of actually feeding them prazi flakes) thanks in advance guys.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 i have a new video of my clown she now keeps scratching her face on the glass and still yawning. i was wondering can this be gill fluke? the video i have is right after i fed her praziquantel flakes from everythingaquatics. (ps. I did a ruby rally pro for 3 days in a qt tank for 3 days and even did a prazipro for 2 weeks this is why i change the idea of actually feeding them prazi flakes) thanks in advance guys.

I don’t see how they can dose praziquantel in flakes properly. The dose is 50mg of prazi per kilogram of fish mass. They don’t know how much your fish weighs or how much food you are feeding - there is virtually no chance that the dose will be correct. Then, oral prazi only works for internal cestodes, not gill flukes.

The clown sure is acting like it has flukes though. You can dose your tank with Prazipro, 2x, 8 days apart with good aeration and no carbon. Run skimmers, but don’t collect the skimmate.

Jay

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see how they can dose praziquantel in flakes properly. The dose is 50mg of prazi per kilogram of fish mass. They don’t know how much your fish weighs or how much food you are feeding - there is virtually no chance that the dose will be correct. Then, oral prazi only works for internal cestodes, not gill flukes.

The clown sure is acting like it has flukes though. You can dose your tank with Prazipro, 2x, 8 days apart with good aeration and no carbon. Run skimmers, but don’t collect the skimmate.

Jay
i will doze it right now thank you I appreciate it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back