Clownfish with possible brook? Breathing heavily

lin333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So three days ago, I noticed my clownfish acting oddly. Upon closer inspection, it looked like there was a speckle of sand on him. Currently, he’s been laying on the sand bed and gasping for air. I dosed the tank with Coppersafe thinking it was probably brook, but I don’t see slime on him or anything. His fins have also become increasingly tattered over a few days and I’m wondering if it’s from the parasites or his rubbing against surfaces. I’m scared he won’t make it. He is the only fish in this tank. Here is a photo I took yesterday before the fins became more ripped.

IMG_1844.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

So three days ago, I noticed my clownfish acting oddly. Upon closer inspection, it looked like there was a speckle of sand on him. Currently, he’s been laying on the sand bed and gasping for air. I dosed the tank with Coppersafe thinking it was probably brook, but I don’t see slime on him or anything. His fins have also become increasingly tattered over a few days and I’m wondering if it’s from the parasites or his rubbing against surfaces. I’m scared he won’t make it. He is the only fish in this tank. Here is a photo I took yesterday before the fins became more ripped.

IMG_1844.jpeg
Im not seeing signs of Brooklynella , however am seeing Ich on the fish which will cause loss of appetite, its lethargic behavior and even rapid breathing. Unfortunately fish will have to be moved to a separate quarantine/treatment tank and treated with Coppersafe at 2.0-2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any other fish - is this fish new - have you measured your parameters - and it looks like a relative new tank? I assume you didn't QT the fish. Do you have any invertebrates?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back