Wrasse: Constipation, Egg bound or other?

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I beleive is a female Red Fairy Wrasse.

This is the second time she has grown to bloated proportions, some of her scales on her abdomen appear to stick out due to how sharp her belly curves.

The first time she was grossly bloated for about a month then suddenly returned back to normal. I believed this to be a case of egg production and spawning. Note: there is no other wrasses currenlty in the 220 water box tank.

She has now been bloated for about 1.5 months. She frequenlty rests on the bottom of the tank during the day when nothing interesting is occurring which is abnormal behavior for her. She eats. She appears to be permently hunched over (back is arched). Yesterday I saw an oversided mass being expelled which I suspected was a solid mass of eggs... now I'm not so certain. Constipation seems more likely.

All other fish in tank appear to be healthy, for example their is a pair of clowns that swawn/hatch a clutch monthly, they have been doing this for over a 1.5 years.

See videos which were taken when I placed some algae tabs on the glass to bring her out and to the front.... still didn't like/trust the camera following her.

@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

Thank you for your thoughts, suggestions.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the second time she has grown to bloated proportions, some of her scales on her abdomen appear to stick out due to how sharp her belly curves.

The first time she was grossly bloated for about a month then suddenly returned back to normal. I believed this to be a case of egg production and spawning. Note: there is no other wrasses currenlty in the 220 water box tank.

She has now been bloated for about 1.5 months. She frequenlty rests on the bottom of the tank during the day when nothing interesting is occurring which is abnormal behavior for her. She eats. She appears to be permently hunched over (back is arched). Yesterday I saw an oversided mass being expelled which I suspected was a solid mass of eggs... now I'm not so certain. Constipation seems more likely.

All other fish in tank appear to be healthy, for example their is a pair of clowns that swawn/hatch a clutch monthly, they have been doing this for over a 1.5 years.

See videos which were taken when I placed some algae tabs on the glass to bring her out and to the front.... still didn't like/trust the camera following her.

@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

Sorry - I’m traveling and can’t view your videos on my phone.
It does sound like egg binding though - nothing you go do for that except to see if she can work it out. Sometimes they can expel the eggs, but in other cases, the eggs solidify and can’t be released.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

@Jay Hemdal
@vetteguy53081

My goodness. This may be indeed egg bound or constipation but leaning on body mass as eggs. Is fish still eating ?
To alleviate constipation, feed it brine shrimp.
Its feces- Is it normal or white?

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a Wrasse being egg bound. Nothing like a water change to make sure nothing is wrong with the water chemistry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back