Clownfish laying on ground breathing heavily

BRCREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male clownfish is laying on the ground breathing heavily, I don’t know what to do

3B631DB8-5071-4AA3-B777-198C642A240F.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been like this? How are the other fish acting? How new is the fish and was it quarantined?
Would you be able to post a video (linked through YouTube) to view its respiration rate?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My male clownfish is laying on the ground breathing heavily, I don’t know what to do

3B631DB8-5071-4AA3-B777-198C642A240F.jpeg
Can be water related or mucus but need something better to work with as for pic.
Please post a you tube video under bright white lighting of at least 20 seconds for best assessment

OP
OP
B

BRCREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been like this? How are the other fish acting? How new is the fish and was it quarantined?
Would you be able to post a video (linked through YouTube) to view its respiration rate?
I wasn’t able to post the video but he’s been like this for 2 hours and 30 minutes his breathing is 135 breaths per minute with some gasping breaths he’s laying on the ground flapping his fins, I’ve had him for a month now and did not quarantine him, I have a female which is his pair doing good and swimming and a diamond goby and royal gramma all swimming, it’s just him.

OP
OP
B

BRCREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be water related or mucus but need something better to work with as for pic.
Please post a you tube video under bright white lighting of at least 20 seconds for best assessment
I wasn’t able to post the video but he’s been like this for 2 hours and 30 minutes his breathing is 135 breaths per minute with some gasping breaths he’s laying on the ground flapping his fins, I’ve had him for a month now and did not quarantine him, I have a female which is his pair doing good and swimming and a diamond goby and royal gramma all swimming, it’s just him.

OP
OP
B

BRCREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is 7.8 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 salinity 1.025

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect aggression, but since there’s no damage to the fish it’s hard to say.
Have you tried isolating it and seeing if it starts moving around?

OP
OP
B

BRCREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect aggression, but since there’s no damage to the fish it’s hard to say.
Have you tried isolating it and seeing if it starts moving around?
When I found him in the sand bed I tried grabbing him with a net then it started swimming weird straight in one direction then swam in circles before it went back to the sand bed.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is flow and aeration?
Breathing at the rate it is would indicate something wrong with respiration, either environmental or disease.
I don’t think velvet, as it isn’t really displaying any of the other symptoms - mainly swimming into flow (but without a video I can’t say for sure).

OP
OP
B

BRCREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is flow and aeration?
Breathing at the rate it is would indicate something wrong with respiration, either environmental or disease.
I don’t think velvet, as it isn’t really displaying any of the other symptoms - mainly swimming into flow (but without a video I can’t say for sure).
I have pretty good flow lots of surface agitation, can you go to the YouTube app and type in on search brc sick clownfish and see if my video shows up?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it:

Unfortunately, best I can tell the fish looks moribund. The bites in the tail can be from aggression from the female, but by the point of death there is usually a lot more damage.
Let me tag @Jay Hemdal and see if he sees anything I’m missing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried that both clowns have an issue, but just that this one is much worse. In the video - I saw the smaller clown go skittering by, but it looks unwell also.

Rapid breathing, in tanks where the water checks out o.k. is usually due to a gill disease. The most common gill disease are protozoans.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back