All Fish Breathe heavily and fast

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see bright white rock and sand. How long has this tank been running? Week or 2?

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see bright white rock and sand. How long has this tank been running? Week or 2?
Because this is a FOT, I only use white light, so the sand looks white, but actually is brown. (well in the video the color is a little bit different from reality) The water is old water from another tank. Also the tank already run more than a month. At the beginning I add these fish in, they didn't breathe heavily like this....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you think I should go through another copper treatment now? Or after prazipro treatment? (yesterday I dosed the 1st dose)
Can you do a small favor - it might not change what I said - but could you provide a 1. this happened first, then 2. this happened next. Something like that (EDIT - I.e. a 1. 2. 3. - of what happened

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you think I should go through another copper treatment now? Or after prazipro treatment? (yesterday I dosed the 1st dose)
Yes. I would repeat your QT protocol - I re-read the other posts - so I would say yes. Re-do - though its a hassle

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do a small favor - it might not change what I said - but could you provide a 1. this happened, then 2. this. Something like that
You mean provide a "1. this happened, then 2. this. " description for all have happened?
Yes. I would repeat your QT protocol - I re-read the other posts - so I would say yes. Re-do - though its a hassle
Begin copper right now? No need to wait for finishing the 2nd prazipro?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mean provide a "1. this happened, then 2. this. " description for all have happened?
Yes
Begin copper right now? No need to wait for finishing the 2nd prazipro?
Not sure it depends on a better history - can you let everyone know what is happening now?

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes

Not sure it depends on a better history - can you let everyone know what is happening now?
Ok I will write a more logical history.

But in a word, breathe heavily is the only symptom right now, and the videos are taken when I post the thread(1 hours ago)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

But in a word, breathe heavily is the only symptom right now, and the videos are taken when I post the thread(1 hours ago)
if you look at my signature you can see a list of questions that can be helpful.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Wasn't meant to be criticism :). Breathing difficulty is either. A GILL issue (toxin, parasite,) or low oxygen. Given the history - I would suggest an illness.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two FF in there…..with a yellow?
Wow!
That’s maybe why everyone is freaked?
Can’t see that working, I separate them all

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi can lower oxygenation of a tank pretty heavily which wouldn't help. I know the people here know what they're talking about, but I wouldn't necessarily want to dose prazi again while everything seems to be breathing fast without increasing gas exchange pretty aggressively with a couple air stones, a skimmer, or another powerhead or 2 pointed at the surface. I'd especially be concerned since all the fish are breathing hard. I'd more lean oxygenation than EVERY ONE of the fish has gill flukes

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi can lower oxygenation of a tank pretty heavily which wouldn't help. I know the people here know what they're talking about, but I wouldn't necessarily want to dose prazi again while everything seems to be breathing fast without increasing gas exchange pretty aggressively with a couple air stones, a skimmer, or another powerhead or 2 pointed at the surface. I'd especially be concerned since all the fish are breathing hard. I'd more lean oxygenation than EVERY ONE of the fish has gill fluke
Before prazipro, I have a hob filter and protein skimmer, and the only 3-4 fish there. Now since I dosed prazipro, so I stopped using skimmer and add 2 air stones. Do you think I should add more? Or start protein skimmer?

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two FF in there…..with a yellow?
Wow!
That’s maybe why everyone is freaked?
Can’t see that working, I separate them all
I would say before this happen they doing very well with each other. And again this is a temporary observation tank not DT.

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't meant to be criticism :). Breathing difficulty is either. A GILL issue (toxin, parasite,) or low oxygen. Given the history - I would suggest an illness.
No worry I know you are helping me not criticism! I just went to LFS to test water again, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 9, nitrate is 25. A little bit high, but may not be the reason. LFS suggests me to do a large amount water change and add some methylene blue, do you think it would help?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worry I know you are helping me not criticism! I just went to LFS to test water again, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 9, nitrate is 25. A little bit high, but may not be the reason. LFS suggests me to do a large amount water change and add some methylene blue, do you think it would help?
I wouldn't keep switching meds. Also, the parameters don't seem like a concern at those numbers. As @MnFish1 raised concerns about would be if initial quarantine failed for some reason, it may be best to finish the prazi treatment. During this time carefully monitor and decide if maybe another treatment of copper may be warranted

Others have raised good points too that this could be due to stress caused by the fish and the tank accommodations. Hard to nail down something concrete.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before prazipro, I have a hob filter and protein skimmer, and the only 3-4 fish there. Now since I dosed prazipro, so I stopped using skimmer and add 2 air stones. Do you think I should add more? Or start protein skimmer?
You can use the skimmer - but allow that 'skimmate' - to fall back in the tank - if your situation allows that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Start the protein skimmer, but don't collect any skimmate, and keep the air stones running, that will help rule out low oxygen issues.

Methylene blue is an "old school" medication and doesn't really help all that much with acute issues. It can also kill the nitrifying bacteria, which can then cause a rise in ammonia. I would skip that.

The main worry here is if the fish have velvet. That some of them are still feeding tends to rule that out.

The praziquantel is not an immediate cure. Very often, if the fish have gill flukes, the prazi causes the flukes to drop off, but then, that leaves little holes in their skin/gills which takes time to heal, the fish may actually look worse the next day. In severe cases, the flukes drop off, but then, the fish "bleeds out". There is no way around that though - if you don't kill the flukes, the fish will die.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can keep your skimmer on (depending on the location) - but take off the collection cup. - as said above - and iMHO you can take away at least one of the air stones

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back