All Fish Breathe heavily and fast

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

I have some fish in my observation tank, where all the fish already finished QT. However, 2 weeks ago, after I dose first prazipro, one of the clownfish showed ich, another two seems like having velvet (but they are doing well, eating great). At the same time, the foxfaces lost their weight obviously, before I dosed prazipro, they are very fat. Within a week, I can see the line from the side view.

At the first day I found that the clowns have such symptom I get them out. However, in last week, all other fish begin to breathe heavily and fast. I test all the chemical and they are with in the normal range. I also do 15-20% water change twice last week. I also went to LFS to ask for help and they suspect it is gill flake. So I dose prazipro and add a aeration yesterday. However, 24 hours has past, the fishes keep breathing heavily, especially the biota yellow tang seems breathe even faster. I am worried about them and don't know what to do. Any idea? Thanks!

Edited: One more thing to mention, my new convict tang died after 1st Prazipro dose, it is too skinny when I got him.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi R2R,

I have some fish in my observation tank, where all the fish already finished QT. However, 2 weeks ago, after I dose first prazipro, one of the clownfish showed ich, another two seems like having velvet (but they are doing well, eating great). At the first day I found that they have such symptom I get them out. However, in last week, all other fish begin to breathe heavily and fast. I test all the chemical and they are with in the normal range. I also do 15-20% water change twice last week. I also went to LFS to ask for help and they suspect it is gill flake. So I dose prazipro and add a aeration yesterday. However, 24 hours has past, the fishes keep breathing heavily, especially the biota yellow tang seems breathe even faster. I am worried about them and don't know what to do. Any idea? Thanks!

Fish breathing heavily is often due to disease or water quality issue. Start with water- Assure ammonia is bot elevated and temp has not become escalated.
How are you testing water?
For disease, often will be flukes as I see no early signs of velvet. Fluke signs will be fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish breathing heavily is often due to disease or water quality issue. Start with water- Assure ammonia is bot elevated and temp has not become escalated.
How are you testing water?
For disease, often will be flukes as I see no early signs of velvet. Fluke signs will be fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
I even bring a water sample to LFS to test the ammonia, Nitrate, etc.

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pic shows me a yellow tang that appears very frightened, real pale.

So everyone ok now?
Pale color because he is very young. Everyone not good right now(breathe heavily). The video was taken 10 minutes ago.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pale color because he is very young. Everyone not good right now(breathe heavily). The video was taken 10 minutes ago.
Looks like he’s hiding to me.
The tank looks small with a few big fish.
Watch that FF. Can be nasty. Can nip when you get corals.
Water change daily, tank looks so, so, new.

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he’s hiding to me.
The tank looks small with a few big fish.
Watch that FF. Can be nasty. Can nip when you get corals.
Water change daily, tank looks so, so, new.
The problem is, the foxface also breathe heavily if you watch the third video.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need additional info. Were fish quarantined? What size tank are they in? Seems way too small. Are fish eating?

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need additional info. Were fish quarantined? What size tank are they in? Seems way too small. Are fish eating?
Hi, my first sentence said they finished QT which means quarantined. It is a observation tank not a display tank. And anyway they should not breathe so heavily even in a smaller tank right? They are not acted like this at the beginning I put them in this tank. Foxfaces eat like a pig. Yellow tang seems like eating less these 2 days but keep eating

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just confused. What quarantine method did you use? Trying to figure out how symptoms show after being completed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry - to me its hard to put all of this together - but My opinion: I don't think velvet, etc - can be ruled out - sometimes levels are not quite up where they should be (of copper). (in other words a second copper quarantine may be needed). Second - If they are flukes - (or not) - the prazipro requires a fair bit more oxygenation I believe you mentioned you provided for an airstone - but if not - thats important. I would make sure that before you add something back to your display - that it have gone through a 76 day fallow period (which is slightly long to current standards) - I say that just in case you have an odd strain etc.

OP
OP
RichardL

RichardL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - to me its hard to put all of this together - but My opinion: I don't think velvet, etc - can be ruled out - sometimes levels are not quite up where they should be (of copper). (in other words a second copper quarantine may be needed). Second - If they are flukes - (or not) - the prazipro requires a fair bit more oxygenation I believe you mentioned you provided for an airstone - but if not - thats important. I would make sure that before you add something back to your display - that it have gone through a 76 day fallow period (which is slightly long to current standards) - I say that just in case you have an odd strain etc.
So you think I should go through another copper treatment now? Or after prazipro treatment? (yesterday I dosed the 1st dose)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back