Sick clownfish

keelij24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!
My clownfish started acting sick yesterday.

All levels are good tanks at 77 degrees

He is breathing heavily and just laying on bottom of tank, occasionally will swim but looks kinda drunk. No noticeable discoloration or injuries.

Did freshwater bath and gave seachem metroplex.

Attachments

• IMG_3442.mov
    31.5 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your video cannot be seen by me nor many other people - can you post a YouTube - and a Link - otherwise - much more detail as to what's going on

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It looks like a fish that is nearly moribund - which means without a miracle will not survive. I have no suggestions - except a hospital tank, treat with the protocol on the reef disease forum for quarantine. You would need to supply much more history -not sure why to give metroplex -

OK - this video looks like a trolling thing - best wishes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish isnt moribund, at least yet. The fish is a little thin and likely getting no food as there is evidence of aggression from looks of tail being bitten and fish is more distressed than anything. I assume there is another clown in the tank who would typically do this?
You will want to isolate the aggressor either in the sump or acclimation box for a week or two to allow the little guy to eat and gain weight and strength.
Assure ammonia is not elevated and add an air stone to tank to increase oxygen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are there other fish in the same tank? Are they ok?
Are there invertebrates in the same tank, are they ok?

This clown is very ill, the rapid breathing could be from water quality issues (but invertebrates would also be affected) or it could be a gill disease (and then other fish in that tank will be at risk).

Jay

OP
OP
K

keelij24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are there other fish in the same tank? Are they ok?
Are there invertebrates in the same tank, are they ok?

This clown is very ill, the rapid breathing could be from water quality issues (but invertebrates would also be affected) or it could be a gill disease (and then other fish in that tank will be at risk).

Jay
All other fish appear fine.

Water parameters
PH 8
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
SG 1.026
Salinity 36%

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other fish appear fine.

Water parameters
PH 8
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
SG 1.026
Salinity 36%

There are some clownfish diseases that only affect individual fish, so hopefully that is the case here. There are also protozoan gill diseases that can start with one fish and spread to others, those are more of an issue. You'll need to observe the other fish very closely for rapid breathing, not eating well, etc.

Given that just one fish is affected, at this point, there isn't a clear treatment option. You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip, but the fish may not survive that due to the extra stress.

Jay

OP
OP
K

keelij24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some clownfish diseases that only affect individual fish, so hopefully that is the case here. There are also protozoan gill diseases that can start with one fish and spread to others, those are more of an issue. You'll need to observe the other fish very closely for rapid breathing, not eating well, etc.

Given that just one fish is affected, at this point, there isn't a clear treatment option. You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip, but the fish may not survive that due to the extra stress.

Jay
Yes I’m keeping a close eye on the other fish.

I am assuming my clownfish has passed, i had to leave for a few hours and now can’t locate it in the tank at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back