10 year old live rock - cleaning process.

chris_m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like to say Hi to the community first :)

Back in the day, over 15 years ago I had a tank running. Unfortunately due to work and other commitments I made the sad decision on shutting down my system.

However now I'm older, generally work from home and possibly wiser (my wife would strongly challenge that last statement) I'm thinking about diving back in.

The live rock has been sitting in my garden in different locations for the last 15 years and still looks in good condition.

Does anyone know a successful cleaning process I could use to re-introduce the rock to my new tank, my understanding is the rock will re-seed with live sand and any other additional newly brought live rock overtime, however I'm concerned that any bio diversity from the garden will enter the tank regardless of how clean I think the rock is, as we are talking microscopic bio.

I was considering a month long cleaning process with clean water every day leading onto RO, I was also thinking of diluted bleach or possibly vinegar however due to the porous makeup of live rock I'm concerned of bleach leaching into my new tank over time, I'm also concerned I will not reach every non-marine bio within the cleaning process.

I would be interested if anyone has any advice or tried methods in a similar situation or even recommend I use the rock due to a finely balance eco system.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back in the day, over 15 years ago I had a tank running. Unfortunately due to work and other commitments I made the sad decision on shutting down my system.

However now I'm older, generally work from home and possibly wiser (my wife would strongly challenge that last statement) I'm thinking about diving back in.

The live rock has been sitting in my garden in different locations for the last 15 years and still looks in good condition.

Does anyone know a successful cleaning process I could use to re-introduce the rock to my new tank, my understanding is the rock will re-seed with live sand and any other additional newly brought live rock overtime, however I'm concerned that any bio diversity from the garden will enter the tank regardless of how clean I think the rock is, as we are talking microscopic bio.

I was considering a month long cleaning process with clean water every day leading onto RO, I was also thinking of diluted bleach or possibly vinegar however due to the porous makeup of live rock I'm concerned of bleach leaching into my new tank over time, I'm also concerned I will not reach every non-marine bio within the cleaning process.

I would be interested if anyone has any advice or tried methods in a similar situation or even recommend I use the rock due to a finely balance eco system.
You can use dilute muriatic acid to dissolve the dirty surface layer of the rock. Long exposure to acid will dissolve more rock. With such a treatment you could skip the bleach.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd worry about any pesticides or other contaminants that the rock might have been exposed to during the last 15 years.

If you have the means, consider starting the tank with some ocean live rock (or rock from a very established tank) and then supplement with something like dry Marco rock if needed.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some sitting outside for 5 years. Soaked in water a few times. And started a tank with them. But it is risky

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back