OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am watching them because I know things can take a turn for the worse very quickly.

He keeps checking on her in the cave.

I am also considering giving the 3 of them a time out in a small tank for a couple of days, it's a bonding experience.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I did this, I had just a couple and I removed the male for a couple of days. When I put him back in the main tank he immediately went after the female.

I had to put him back in detention for about a week and when I returned him to the main tank the female already was in full shape and able to put him in his place. But it took them months to mend their relationship.

I bet that if I took that magnifica out of the tank, they would stop fighting.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the first time my clowns managed to draw blood

IMG_20180414_144153.jpg

Once they did, they kept biting me in the same spot.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally ignore them.

I was trying to do what I had to do in the tank, trying to hide the wound after realizing what they had done, but they kept finding it.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got another Maxspect Razor and the tank is now evenly lit and it allows me much more freedom in the placement of corals.

I also tried using bluer light at the back to enhance the sense of depth in the tank.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice! And not a single clown bit you. I like the way the light highlights the new openness in that space. Especially compared to the darkness before. Very inviting.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't even noticed that the clowns didn't bite me!

I am far from happy with the result.

On one hand I should wait at least a year to see the end result, when those rocks are covered in GSP, zoas and that golden psammocora.

On the other hand, the thought that keeps popping to my head when I look at that area is "Less is more".

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With clams, gorgonias and sponges now in the tank (they consume bacteria), I began wondering if having the UV and Skimmer running 24/7 is a good idea (dangerous stuff this wondering thing).

I turned off the UV a few days ago with the objective of having more bacteria in the water column and I immediately noticed a change in the skimate color: whereas before it was dark green, now it's brown.

I suppose the UV was killing algae in suspension in the water and the skimmer is only able to skim dead algae?

I will let the tank run without UV for a few more days and then take this experiment a bit further by stopping the skimmer a few hours per day to let the bacteria increase during daytime.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back