100 Gallon Reef Stocking Ideas Needed

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

We are currently working on setting up a 100 gallon half cylinder tank with the plan for it to be a coral tank. I have been out of the Saltwater world for some time and my wife is bugging me about getting a list of fish that we can select for the tank. We are working on getting it setup and will have it cycling for some time before we add the fish. Here are my thoughts and would like some help, I really want this thank to shine and have some interesting fish that dont just sit there.

Here is my plan:
-2 Ocellaris Clownfish or 2 Black and White Occellaris, I have read that more then a pair is not a good idea.
- Flame Angle, this is my all time favorite fish
- Yellow Tang
- 4-6 PJ Cardinal Fish
-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Royal Gramma, maybe

What is the best cleanup crew for a reef tank? I dont want any fish that are going to pick at anything.

Any other colorful fish that are pretty active swimmers?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my plan:
-2 Ocellaris Clownfish or 2 Black and White Occellaris, I have read that more then a pair is not a good idea.
- Flame Angle, this is my all time favorite fish
- Yellow Tang
- 4-6 PJ Cardinal Fish
-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Royal Gramma, maybe

What is the best cleanup crew for a reef tank? I dont want any fish that are going to pick at anything.

Any other colorful fish that are pretty active swimmers?

2 clowns are fine. You are right that you only want one pair.
Flame angel: Fine. It will possibly pick at corals, and it will be fairly aggressive as it matures, but I think it will leave your other fishes on the list alone.
Yellow tang: Possibly okay. What are the dimensions of the tank? 100 gallons is borderline, and I would recommend at least 4-5 foot of length.
Cardinals: This might be the same case as clowns. As they mature and pair off, one pair may go after any other cardinals.
Goby: great fish
Royal gramma: great fish. You can even do a pair or group of these.

Other fish to consider:
Hawkfish
Smaller Halichoerus wrasses like the yellow or red-lined.
Fairy and flasher wrasses

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns are fine. You are right that you only want one pair.
Flame angel: Fine. It will possibly pick at corals, and it will be fairly aggressive as it matures, but I think it will leave your other fishes on the list alone.
Yellow tang: Possibly okay. What are the dimensions of the tank? 100 gallons is borderline, and I would recommend at least 4-5 foot of length.
Cardinals: This might be the same case as clowns. As they mature and pair off, one pair may go after any other cardinals.
Goby: great fish
Royal gramma: great fish. You can even do a pair or group of these.

Other fish to consider:
Hawkfish
Smaller Halichoerus wrasses like the yellow or red-lined.
Fairy and flasher wrasses

Thanks for the input. The tank is 4 ft long and at the radius 24" wide. Can I have mulitple gobys? Interesting about the Royal Gramma, I always thought only 1 per tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Tang can be quite assertive and may take issues with your Flame Angel (being of a somewhat similar body shape). My Yellow Tang had to be removed after a few weeks as it decided to start being a jerk to my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (took a small chunk out of the corner of it's lower fin) and did some tail slaps with it's scalpel (which showed visible damage on the coral beauty. Fortunately my Coral Beauty is super durable, but I had to get the tang out of there for that reason. My tank is a 90 gallon, so it is pretty close in dimensions, just be aware that if your Yellow Tang decides to claim the entire tank as it's turf you may have to remove it in a hurry.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have mulitple gobys? Interesting about the Royal Gramma, I always thought only 1 per tank.

At least some gobies can be mixed. Watchmen can be paired. And then there are fish that we call "gobies," that aren't, like firefish and dragonettes, which won't even notice each other.

Grammas can be paired/grouped if you add small ones, and at the same time.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I agree with jester about the tang and angel. If the yellow tang decides to go crazy, the angel will be the target. The other small fishes won't be noticed.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at fairy wrasses. They can intermingle (for the most part) and there are some amazing species :)

OP
OP
Geebs19

Geebs19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Tang can be quite assertive and may take issues with your Flame Angel (being of a somewhat similar body shape). My Yellow Tang had to be removed after a few weeks as it decided to start being a jerk to my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (took a small chunk out of the corner of it's lower fin) and did some tail slaps with it's scalpel (which showed visible damage on the coral beauty. Fortunately my Coral Beauty is super durable, but I had to get the tang out of there for that reason. My tank is a 90 gallon, so it is pretty close in dimensions, just be aware that if your Yellow Tang decides to claim the entire tank as it's turf you may have to remove it in a hurry.
May I ask what you have loaded your tank with fish wise?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back