1000 ppm Calcium and corals doing ok

crispin132

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello fellow reefers,
i have a question regarding calcium levels. I had a malfunctioning dosing pump and my calcium is at 900 to 1000 ppm and i cannot see any changes in my SPS or LPS.
Good polyp extension and in general looking good. KH at 8. Mg 1380.

I thought maybe my testkit was off, but i tested the water of my trusted coral shop and their water was at 430. So i guess my levels are in fact really that high.

Is there actually any evidence that confirms that high calcium levels harm corals ? The only downside I found from my research is precipitation of calciumcarbonate and thus lowering KH. Right now i dose sodium bicarbonate to maintain KH and increase hopefully precipitation. KH is stable at 8 tested over days. but the Ca seems to be persistent around 1000.

Anyway what i wanted to ask, is there any downside keeping the calcium that high and alk high besides precipitation?

thanks ! :)
 
I expect the primary problem will be maintaining alkalinity against precipitation of calcium carbonate.

I don’t know how stressful (or not) that level
may be.

How large is the tank?
 
Well, I’ve long said corals don’t care much if calcium is elevated. You are certainly charting a new data point :)
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new