1000l (264 gallon) Norwegian Native Cold Water - Deep Water Habitat

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I already have a build thread, but I've just been throwing in pictures and videos from different tanks. Thought I'd make a separate thread for at least this tank. If there's any interest, I might do the same for one or more of my other tanks too.

The setup:
1000l (264 gallon) acrylic aquarium
1 eheim 2260 canister filter
1 eheim profesionel canister filter

So, here goes.. I bought this tank second hand last year. With the tank were 3 canister filters. 2 different eheim filers, and one fluval fx6. After trying the filters out, it turned out the Fluval had a leak that I haven't been able to fix, so I'm currently only running it with the two Eheim filters.

The tank will include only self-collected livestock from the ocean in Norway (no protected or endangered creatures in any way).

The idea was to get a good chilller, and keep the tank in my living room, but I just didn't trust that the floor would be able to take the weight, so I ended up keeping it in my basement for now. Good thing about that is that the temperature down there is pretty low, so I'm going to try running it without a chiller, at least for now.

20221019_151212.jpg

20221019_151329.jpg

I decided to try to have a deep sand bed in the tank. Mostly because I'd like it to be as natural as possible, and I'd love to see what kind of little critters would turn up in the sand, but also the possibility that the sand bed would help with filtration was an interesting prospect. If that will work, I have no idea... Since the tank is kind of shallow, I decided to try to have deep sand only in one end of the tank, directing the flow in the direction of the deep sand, to hopefully keep the sand in that part of the tank.

When it comes to livestock, I wanted to do something a bit different with this tank. The idea is to try to do a deep water habitat. One of the major challenge with that is of course getting the livestock, but I do have some ideas on how to do that (and what I hope to get).

I started filling up the tank with water and sand early February of this year, and apart from one huge mishap (a hose from one of the canister pumps came out, so all the water got pumped on the floor.. Yikes..), it's been running since then.

20230209_204031.jpg

I've since added several Norway king crabs (Lithodes maja) as the first creatures in there. Really love these critters! Hopefully I'll soon be able to get some of the other creatures I'd like to keep in this tank.

Screenshot (660).png

Screenshot (662).png

Screenshot (663).png

Screenshot (664).png

I've got a YouTube channel Coldwater Tanks where I'm posting videos from my tanks, including this one, so if this sounds interesting to you, I hope you'll check out the channel.

Got a few videos up showing the process of getting it to where it is now if you want to see more.

Anyways, that's all I've got so far. Hope this is of interest to some of you. If it is, I'll try to update this thread whenever there's anything new to share, or whenever I have a new video up from the tank. Screenshot (664).png

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks amazing! I always love to see native biotope tanks, I have a feeling that this tank will be absolutely incredible once you have it up and running solidly! What are you doing for lighting, and do you have plans for kelp and macroalgae, or will this mostly be a FOWLR system (with native invertebrates)?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! i was looking in to a cold water tank set up a while back. thought it would be cool, never did it tho.

what do those guys eat?
love to see more pics of beautiful Norway that little bit of the cost line I saw in one vid was not enough. :)

OP
OP
bullfrog

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool. Completely different from what i mostly see.
Thanks, Glad you found it interesting!

This looks amazing! I always love to see native biotope tanks, I have a feeling that this tank will be absolutely incredible once you have it up and running solidly! What are you doing for lighting, and do you have plans for kelp and macroalgae, or will this mostly be a FOWLR system (with native invertebrates)?
Thank you! I'm hoping so too. About the lighting, I'm currently just using some "led bars" meant for grow lights for plant with a bed sheet between the light and the tank cover, just to dim the lights.. Very fancy setup, hehe! As I'm planning on trying to copy a deep water habitat, there will be no macroalgae here. Lights will be off most of the time, and when they're on, they'll be as dim as possible with it still looking good, so wouldn't be good for growing macros anyways. Have a few fish in mind for the tank in addition to the inverts, but might take me a while to actually get them...

nice! i was looking in to a cold water tank set up a while back. thought it would be cool, never did it tho.

what do those guys eat?
love to see more pics of beautiful Norway that little bit of the cost line I saw in one vid was not enough. :)

Thanks! It's a fun project if you can (and are allowed) to collect your own creatures. If not, getting livestock can be a challenge I guess, though there are some sellers in the US.

So far I've fed them pieces of fish, prawns and their favourite, blue mussels. They supposedly will eat just about anything though.

Hehe, I'll have to try to add more from above the surface in the future as well..

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Idea, Love eheim filters I have 4 running 20 plus years, NEVER a Problem,

OP
OP
bullfrog

bullfrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update since my latest post. Was lucky enough to get hold of a huge anemone that I just had to try in the tank. (Pretty sure it's a deeplet sea anemone (Bolocera tuediae) for various reasons). It came up with some fish nets, so it was a bit damaged from presumably being ripped off it's spot down there, but it seems alive and doing OK, at least so far. Have also added a few anemone hermit crabs, which will always be among my favourite creatures in our waters. Still haven't found the right fish to add to this tank, but still working on it.

20230408_230001.jpg

20230408_224613.jpg

Screenshot (685).png

Screenshot (682).png

Screenshot (694).png

If you want to see more from this tank, and these creatures, you can check out my latest YouTube video from this aquarium:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back