100g SCA First time reefer!

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I've had a freshwater tank for the last 11 years. I had discus for most of those years and currently house a few angel fish and an 11 yo Pictus Catfish that I think may be immortal! Anyway, I've wanted to cross over for years but have been waiting for my freshwater inhabitants to live out their lives since my wife doesn't really want two big tanks. I've been a lurker here for years as well as on other forums. I've spent more time researching this hobby than probably any other. I want to be successful. At first I planned to convert my 72 gallon bow front but decided to go all new and picked up a SCA 100 for an early birthday present!
I'm in the process of finishing up my stand. I'm painting it this weekend. I did the typical 2x4 subframe with a combination of plywood and 4/4 lumber for the face frame, doors etc.
So far I have
SCA 100
SCA skimmer and included return pump
Trigger Triton 34
BRS 5 stage 150g RODI
Various test kits, refractometer, heaters
I ordered 50lbs of dry rock from Billysreefconnection but unfortunately have heard nothing from them in a week. I'm hoping they are on vacation or something but I'm getting concerned as they haven't responded to any of my subsequent attempts to get in touch with them. Im planning on a shallow sand bed mostly to help with water chemistry.

I'm still trying to decide on lighting. I like zoas, and brain corals, and maybe a year down the road would love to add a clam. I'd like to go LED in part because of aesthetics. I don't want a hood and T5 fixtures tend to be bulky. I plan to add a controller eventually as well as an ATO. I keep hoping to score a deal on something used but so far haven't found anything.

I'll post more later but I'm off to my garage to do some painting!
IMG_6436.JPG
IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I plan to add a controller eventually as well as an ATO. I keep hoping to score a deal on something used but so far haven't found anything...

@David Sickle Have you thought of programmable auto-dosers? I have a 5-channel dosing RO/DI 65mL /hr on a 55-gal for 2 weeks now (short term data lol) and benefit from Ca, KH, Mg on other channels with one (1) to spare.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o00brandon00o-50-gallon-build-thread.395370/

I really like the way you finished your stand! Considering options on my unfinished frame and your work is convincing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dmsick

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@David Sickle Have you thought of programmable auto-dosers? I have a 5-channel dosing RO/DI 65mL /hr on a 55-gal for 2 weeks now (short term data lol) and benefit from Ca, KH, Mg on other channels with one (1) to spare.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/o00brandon00o-50-gallon-build-thread.395370/

I really like the way you finished your stand! Considering options on my unfinished frame and your work is convincing!

Thanks Brandon! I haven't looked at dosers much yet. I will definitely check that out. I checked out your thread as well. I really like your work, especially the rock work. You're a good bit ahead of me. Things will move at a pretty slow pace on my end. I hope to get the stand finished this weekend and hopefully get it inside with the tank in place so I can start plumbing.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Stand is looking good. I'm surprised you haven't heard from Billy's, we placed the order for 100lbs and received it within a few days. Try talking to them on Facebook, my wife touched base with them there and she said they responded quickly.

OP
OP
Dmsick

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Stand is looking good. I'm surprised you haven't heard from Billy's, we placed the order for 100lbs and received it within a few days. Try talking to them on Facebook, my wife touched base with them there and she said they responded quickly.
Thanks. I will check in with them on Facebook as well.

OP
OP
Dmsick

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got the inside of the stand and the underside of the top painted with a couple coats of oil based white paint. I also got the doors primed. I initially put 2 coats of black on the doors but the grain was showing through which I didn't want. So I sanded them down and applied a coat of Zinsser BIN primer. Today, I hope to start the finish coats on the door and the outside of the cabinet.
IMG_4103.JPG
IMG_4101.JPG

OP
OP
Dmsick

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have the stand finished! I need to set up the tank in the garage so I can leak test it. I'm nervous about moving the tank. It's heavy! Hopefully in the next day or two I will get it on the stand, hook up the plumbing and hope it all holds water. Hopefully my rock is on the way along with sand and some PVC fittings and fixtures. I also ordered an ATO (ice cap) but haven't decided what I'll do for a reservoir. I think it will be weeks before I actually have it cycling in the house. I'm still trying to decide on a light fixture.
IMG_4109.JPG
IMG_4110.JPG

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have the stand finished! I need to set up the tank in the garage so I can leak test it. I'm nervous about moving the tank. It's heavy! Hopefully in the next day or two I will get it on the stand, hook up the plumbing and hope it all holds water. Hopefully my rock is on the way along with sand and some PVC fittings and fixtures. I also ordered an ATO (ice cap) but haven't decided what I'll do for a reservoir. I think it will be weeks before I actually have it cycling in the house. I'm still trying to decide on a light fixture.
IMG_4109.JPG
IMG_4110.JPG

Great looking stand! It looks very professional with the black exterior and white interior. Are you going to put some lights inside the cabinet? I used these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HWKDQ60

OP
OP
Dmsick

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking stand! It looks very professional with the black exterior and white interior. Are you going to put some lights inside the cabinet? I used these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HWKDQ60

Thanks! Those lights look awesome. I've been planning to light the cabinet but haven't really looked at any options. Those look really nice. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
Dmsick

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2C7D8224-A9CD-4FD3-A6BC-C54FF79F2825.jpeg
4059D049-DFF5-44F4-A78C-33F63B2B64A1.jpeg
E355AEB7-951D-4F67-B4DA-1B77B0B7FF2B.jpeg
Pieces and parts are still trickling in. I am hoping to set the tank and stand in place within the next day or two and then start piecing together the plumbing. Rock and sand are still on their way. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have those items as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back