10g nano reef help!

Philgiff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching on starting a 10 gallon nano reef tank. I see people using ro/di water for refills/ toping the tank off. Do I need ro/di water for a 10gallon tank or would I be ok using petco’s Pacific Ocean water?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't top off saltwater while the water evaporates the salt does not. So you need to add fresh RODI water to replace the evaporated water. Tap water doesn't work for this if your wondering

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco salt water will work for water changes. You can use bottled fresh water (drugstore distilled water is a popular choice) for Topping off what evaporates. You can also use bottled water for water changes (obviously you need to add salt for marine aquRiums to it).

petco water will get expensive and annoying to buy, consider getting an rodi unit if you can afford it. A basic 75 gpd unit from brs is a fine choice

alex7miles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning reef then rodi water i would say is a must

Bottled water works but you need to remember saltwater evaporates quicker then fresh so you will need more then you think. Especially because its heated. Find a good place to buy rodi ( lfs ) or get a unit to make your own.

Sparent25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning reef then rodi water i would say is a must

Bottled water works but you need to remember saltwater evaporates quicker then fresh so you will need more then you think. Especially because its heated. Find a good place to buy rodi ( lfs ) or get a unit to make your own.
What about using just RO water?

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use fresh RODI water to top off. And just a suggestion, I’d get a 20 to 30 gallon instead of a 10. 10 is very small and as soon as you add your first coral you will regret not having a bigger tank. Also the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep the water chemistry stable

alex7miles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use fresh RODI water to top off. And just a suggestion, I’d get a 20 to 30 gallon instead of a 10. 10 is very small and as soon as you add your first coral you will regret not having a bigger tank. Also the bigger the tank the easier it is to keep the water chemistry stable
I would agree. Ive always been told to get the biggest tank you can afford. But remember to factor in running costs. It can get expensive

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bottled water is basically RO water, it adds some more chance that issues could come from your source water, vs rodi. Think of it as risk management
as for going bigger than a 10, you'll definitely wish you'd gone bigger, as I do, but I love my 10 gallon and it was the right choice when I made it 2 years ago

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back