10G reboot questions

SynGraves

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2019
Messages
81
Reaction score
63
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, long story short, My 10g nano is in the middle of a bad dino outbreak which I believe is because of using GFO and carbon too much and stripped the water of nitrates and phosphates.

Currently, I am holding off water changes, dosing bacteria, manually removing and filtering tank water through a 10 micron filter sock, feeding heavily, and added a copepod and phyto culture to add biodiversity. If I do not start seeing progress in the next week or two I am contemplating a reboot.

ATM, phosphates are holding at .14ppm and nitrate is at 5ppm with the heavy feeding so I am hoping to start seeing the dinos become out competed by other algae.

Any suggestions?

Questions I have: Bare bottom or sand? Currently have 20lbs of live sand which is covered in dinos atm...

Would 12lb of rock be sufficient for natural bio-filtration if I go bare bottom?
 
yep its ok if its been in place a while. we remove whole sandbeds a lot in the sand rinse thread

you are in luck having a smaller tank, its easy to remove the bed, try and make the rocks/system comply, then put back a sterilized bed to start clean.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new