10gal nano cycling issues

charbara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all — setting up my first saltwater tank.

I’ve had freshwater for 15years but after moving into my new space with my wife we decided we wanted to try our hand at saltwater.

I have a 10gal column tank that I’ve started cycling. I’ve had some issues with reading and watching so manyyy different strategies for cycling.. trying to consume all this new info has been fun but difficult.

Id like to give a run down of what has transpired thus far in our cycling.

Setup:
10gal column tank
Fluval 207 filter (cleaned and all new media)
Nano powerhead
Small titanium heater (78 degrees)

Day 1:
Setup tank:
- imagitarium Pacific Ocean water
- caribsea reef sand substrate (non-live)
- dry reef rocks
- I’m also using imagitarium test kit for my tests.

Added 40 drops of FritzZyme Fishless Fuel (ammonia) (recommended 4 drops per 1 US gal)

Day 2:
Added same ammonia

Day 3:
Added same ammonia

Day 4:
Ran tests:
- ammonia: 1ppm
- nitrite: 0ppm
- nitrate 0ppm

Added same ammonia

Repeated days 5-7

Day 7:
Ran tests:
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Added ammonia as well as a small pinch of fish flakes as I wasn’t getting up to the 2ppm mark all week.

At this point I also added (what was recommended by my LFS after 1week) — FritzZyme turbostart 900

Day 8:
Ran tests:
- Ammonia: over maximum detectable range (I read the color turns teal if there’s too much ammonia that goes beyond the test’s limits)
- nitrite: 0
- nitrate: 5ppm

I was curious here why I didn’t see any Nitrites, and figured it’s just converting to nitrates quickly? Although the super high ammonia had we worried

Day 9:
Ran tests:
- Ammonia: 4ppm
- Nitrite: skyrocketted — beyond readable levels.
- Nitrate: 5ppm

At this point given what I read online, I understood that nitrite level would halt the cycle.

So I performed a 50% water change.

Day 10:
Ran tests:
Ammonia: 4ppm
nitrite: beyond readable levels
Nitrate: 5ppm

I am baffled as to why changing 50% of the water did nothing to my tests. I assume nitrite was just at such a significant volume and even diluting by 50% still kept it above the max for the tests.

Thank you for reading this far. I know I’ve read mostly people just say to wait it out. But I’ve also read that with the turostart people are seeing their tank cycle in 3-5 days. I’m just hoping I didn’t completely botch this cycle. But if I did I’d rather just start fresh now than wait what people claim could be weeks/months for the nitrites to come down

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, congrats on the new set up!

I am not familiar with the Fritz ammonia product, however I have cycled one of my tanks fishless with ammonia. I only added the ammonia once and added the bacteria on the same day. That seems like a lot of ammonia to add without adding any bacteria for a week, but again I haven't used that particular product.

I would compare with another test kit, change more water and continue to monitor.

Good stuff, congrats on the new tank, any idea what you're gonna stock it with? What have you been keeping on the freshwater side?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cycled mine with a shrimp and bottled bacteria. Used API test kit.

OP
OP
charbara

charbara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I’m learning now that I was supposed to put the bacteria in at the same time. Was misguided beforehand. I am tempted to do another water change but was hoping I could salvage what’s going on here.

My freshwater tanks I was always prioritizing aquascaping, that was my main reason I stayed in the hobby for so long. My favorite was my 150gal tank with just schooling tetras. But my others I’ve kept a variety of african cichlids.

For this tank, we’ll be getting a pair of clowns. The orange storms & Picasso’s are the top contenders at this time. My wife is dead set on making sure we have Jacques in our tank haha. So a shrimp and some additional cleaning crew would be in added. I want to add a blenny but I’m not convinced that’ll be a comfortable amount of space for them all.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all — setting up my first saltwater tank.

I’ve had freshwater for 15years but after moving into my new space with my wife we decided we wanted to try our hand at saltwater.

I have a 10gal column tank that I’ve started cycling. I’ve had some issues with reading and watching so manyyy different strategies for cycling.. trying to consume all this new info has been fun but difficult.

Id like to give a run down of what has transpired thus far in our cycling.

Setup:
10gal column tank
Fluval 207 filter (cleaned and all new media)
Nano powerhead
Small titanium heater (78 degrees)

Day 1:
Setup tank:
- imagitarium Pacific Ocean water
- caribsea reef sand substrate (non-live)
- dry reef rocks
- I’m also using imagitarium test kit for my tests.

Added 40 drops of FritzZyme Fishless Fuel (ammonia) (recommended 4 drops per 1 US gal)

Day 2:
Added same ammonia

Day 3:
Added same ammonia

Day 4:
Ran tests:
- ammonia: 1ppm
- nitrite: 0ppm
- nitrate 0ppm

Added same ammonia

Repeated days 5-7

Day 7:
Ran tests:
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Added ammonia as well as a small pinch of fish flakes as I wasn’t getting up to the 2ppm mark all week.

At this point I also added (what was recommended by my LFS after 1week) — FritzZyme turbostart 900

Day 8:
Ran tests:
- Ammonia: over maximum detectable range (I read the color turns teal if there’s too much ammonia that goes beyond the test’s limits)
- nitrite: 0
- nitrate: 5ppm

I was curious here why I didn’t see any Nitrites, and figured it’s just converting to nitrates quickly? Although the super high ammonia had we worried

Day 9:
Ran tests:
- Ammonia: 4ppm
- Nitrite: skyrocketted — beyond readable levels.
- Nitrate: 5ppm

At this point given what I read online, I understood that nitrite level would halt the cycle.

So I performed a 50% water change.

Day 10:
Ran tests:
Ammonia: 4ppm
nitrite: beyond readable levels
Nitrate: 5ppm

I am baffled as to why changing 50% of the water did nothing to my tests. I assume nitrite was just at such a significant volume and even diluting by 50% still kept it above the max for the tests.

Thank you for reading this far. I know I’ve read mostly people just say to wait it out. But I’ve also read that with the turostart people are seeing their tank cycle in 3-5 days. I’m just hoping I didn’t completely botch this cycle. But if I did I’d rather just start fresh now than wait what people claim could be weeks/months for the nitrites to come down

Don't change any water.
Don't measure Nitrite as it is meaningless in Salt water.
Once you have a zero Ammonia reading, the tank is cycled.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't change any water.
Don't measure Nitrite as it is meaningless in Salt water.
Once you have a zero Ammonia reading, the tank is cycled.
This is correct.

Just did a Fluval 13.5 Evo ...aka my Nephews tank...took almost 2.5 weeks to get ammonia at 0, and the rest is good now too.

Only added a Black Ice Clown and about 8 snails. Started tank on December 26th. Still waiting to add coral.

OP
OP
charbara

charbara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read everywhere that I can’t confirm I have Nitrates because I have Nitrites. And the nitrate test is based on deduction, so if I have nitrites it’ll mess up the test.

My ammonia is down to 0ppm and Nitrite is a bright purple hue that appears to be beyond readable volume based on my test.

In my nitrate test it’s still showing 5ppm — but how can I even confirm that it’s present if my nitrites are so high?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read everywhere that I can’t confirm I have Nitrates because I have Nitrites. And the nitrate test is based on deduction, so if I have nitrites it’ll mess up the test.

My ammonia is down to 0ppm and Nitrite is a bright purple hue that appears to be beyond readable volume based on my test.

In my nitrate test it’s still showing 5ppm — but how can I even confirm that it’s present if my nitrites are so high?
When your Nitrite goes down to zero you will get a true Nitrate reading.

The real test you need to be concerned about is Ammonia.

If you have 0 zero Ammonia reading and Nitrate showing, then your tank is cycled.
Nitrite is unimportant as it is not toxic to Marine animals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back