First saltwater cycle - Help please

Brav403

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Messages
70
Reaction score
11
Location
United Kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title suggests; Started a cycle in my 33gallon with life rock, arag alive sand. Dosed turbostart 900 alongside Fritz Fishless Fuel.

Recorded 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites after 12 days. Proceeded to dose 2ppm ammonia so I could try and measure Ammonia & Nitrite to 0 again within 24 hours before considering adding livestock.

Added some more turbostart 900 on day 14 because I wasn't convinced I'd added enough initially. Ammonia and Nitrites still not 0 as of today (day 17) (ammonia 0.2 nitrite 0.05 using Red Sea test kit) I should add Nitrates are at 10ppm

Concerned that I've read in alot of places that Turbostart really should help to cycle the tank within 5 days (Granted I didn't add loads initially) and as of Monday 11th March I am 3 weeks in.

Should I just be patient?
 
If you have nitrates, you are cycled. You will not see undetectable ammonia or nitrites on most kits. Add a fish or two and happy reefing. Also, don't bother testing nitrites for saltwater
 
If you have nitrates, you are cycled. You will not see undetectable ammonia or nitrites on most kits. Add a fish or two and happy reefing. Also, don't bother testing nitrites for saltwater
Thanks for the response, nitrates are at 10ppm so not insanely high, is it worth a water change prior to stocking in a day or two or shall I leave it a week to get the fish settled?
 
Thanks for the response, nitrates are at 10ppm so not insanely high, is it worth a water change prior to stocking in a day or two or shall I leave it a week to get the fish settled?
Most would say yes. I didn't do a water change in mine for the first six weeks or so, but I had 150g display. Wouldn't hurt anything to keep nitrates in check.
 
Myself just get the system ie sump media skimmer ect going. You can change water forever in my experience doesn't change a thing
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new