10gallon or biocube?

JohnR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my first question among many, I'm sure! :bigsmile:

So, I was at my local pet store and they have a 10 gallon tank set up with salt. Live rock, 1 or 2 fish, and some anemone's (I think...I'm not too familiar with names yet). They have had it up for a couple of years they said.

Looking at it, wow...seems incredibly easy, but I know looks are deceiving! 1 filter on the back, heater and an LED light over the top. No top to the tank.

This is exactly what I want. Nothing REALLY fancy.

They also sell the biocube there.

Talking to someone else, they highly recommended the biocube over the 10 gallon.

Price wise...well, I think this pet store quoted around $160 to set up the 10 gallon. ($8/lb for live rock..seem fair price?) The biocubes are ~$165.

This will technically be my 2nd saltwater tank, but it's been so long since my first one (1990) that I really think this is my first real one. I want to keep expenses down as I don't want to get it only to have it crash on me.

So I guess my question is...10 gallon or 12 gallon biocube?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 14 and prefer its looks over a standard 10 gallon tank. I say go with the Biocube.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say biocube but what are you looking to keep?

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh John.... Im sorry you found this Hobby now your double broke :) .
I have a 14BC that i started with about 5 months ago, base rock and seeded with little pieces of Coralite covered rocks. Now i have some coral, anemones', and a clown(all stock parts except the return pump).
This Hobby is perfect for keepers of Morelia Veridis, Both hobbies everyone says its hard but its not.... if you stay on your water changes, have patience, and know the basic's.
If you do get the BC check Ebay,craigslist, and the classifieds here you will probably save some $$$
Stephen

OP
OP
JohnR

JohnR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m,
I don't know names of what they are, but probably just 1 or 2 fish, a crab or 2, perhaps a brittle star, and then anemones, different ones. Nothing much really, just some nice sealife.

Stephen,
I know what you mean. I still have to pay off 1 more chondro then I can dive into saltwater. :) So it'll probably be this summer before I make the splurge.

What is a return pump? The guy I talked to in MVF chat highly recommended an Automatic Top off or something like that.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what lighting where you looking at to keep a nem?

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the tank. In the 14bc i have, im getting a 16.5" 70w Sunpod(Metal Halide light) and it will be perfect for the nems that iv had under the stock lights for 2 months.
After you figure out what size tank you want, and what you want in it the list of hardware begins :)

OP
OP
JohnR

JohnR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a 14 gallon Oceanic BioCube for sale (used) for $125.

I may pick this one up, even though I'm not ready to set it up. The price seems to be pretty good.

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking around yesterday, that is a good price. I would check the tank for cracks,scratch's, ect...(maybe even fill it up there, to make sure it doesnt leak)
If it all looks good go for it :) . If you do get a BC let me know.
Stephen Tyrrell

OP
OP
JohnR

JohnR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned it down because I would have to drive around 80 miles round trip and wouldn't be able to test it out.

I can wait.

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds good. It will give you more time to search for what you exactly want.
Go on the all in one part of the forum and check out some of the BC14(or whatever your looking to get) and see how they set theirs up, and what there keeping in them.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8$ is way too much for live rock!
premimum aquatics has a 28 gallon cube with HQI for 299 shipped with free stand.
my lfs has the 28 gallon led cude for 599 with stand!
i wouldnt get a 10 gallon i would lean more towards a 40 breeder.

Tankster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lids are good, slow down the evaporation and keep the livestock in the tank.

OP
OP
JohnR

JohnR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8$ is way too much for live rock!
premimum aquatics has a 28 gallon cube with HQI for 299 shipped with free stand.
my lfs has the 28 gallon led cude for 599 with stand!
i wouldnt get a 10 gallon i would lean more towards a 40 breeder.

So where do you find live rock for cheaper price? Without having to travel that is....

Those are good prices but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money in a tank yet. Perhaps when I get better with keeping one then I could upgrade.

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best price for live rock is your local forums or craigslist etc. I am in Louisville as well and have bought live rock from people tearing down a tank for $2-$2.50 a pound. Best deal I got on dry rock was 150 - 200 lbs for $150. Recently saw about 80 lbs of live rock go for $100 on a local forum. You need to be concerned about pests wherever you get live rock (LFS included) with aiptasia being the most common problem. You don't get pests if you buy dry rock from BRS or Marco Rocks but will need to seed it with live rock that may have pests.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back