10lbs of Gulf Live Rock to supplement live rock in tank

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received 10lbs of Gulf Live Rock to supplement my live rock in my MAX E 170, going to let is cure a bit in my old Fluval Evo, but got some interesting Hitchhikers even in this small shipment. Def go a small Mantis Shrimp, some sort of crab, snail I don't know if alive or not, some Rose coral and various macro algae

I Assume this is a Rose coral:

IMG_0730.jpg

Not sure what kind of crab this is yet, or if it will live (so small it's hard to get a photo of it):

IMG_0737.jpg

Anything standing out here?

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg
image1.jpeg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont see anything too weird. Time will tell as it cures.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you said hard to tell from photo but looks similar to a gorilla crab

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That baby crab is a baby porcelain crab. Reef safe, but they may or may not make it. You can tell by the claw shape and, especially, that it has 3 legs on either side instead of 4 (the 4th is a thinner appendage that folds away and is used mostly for cleaning).

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received 10lbs of Gulf Live Rock to supplement my live rock in my MAX E 170, going to let is cure a bit in my old Fluval Evo, but got some interesting Hitchhikers even in this small shipment. Def go a small Mantis Shrimp, some sort of crab, snail I don't know if alive or not, some Rose coral and various macro algae

I Assume this is a Rose coral:

IMG_0730.jpg

Not sure what kind of crab this is yet, or if it will live (so small it's hard to get a photo of it):

IMG_0737.jpg

Anything standing out here?

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg
image1.jpeg
I hope that green brain coral makes it. Very pretty

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp peeking out from under rock
IMG_0743.jpeg
The small Florida mantis shrimp aren't GREAT hitchhikers, but they aren't the giant murder machines their larger cousins are. They stay very small and tend to prey on snails and hermits only when very hungry from what I hear (no DIRECT experience with these)

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small Florida mantis shrimp aren't GREAT hitchhikers, but they aren't the giant murder machines their larger cousins are. They stay very small and tend to prey on snails and hermits only when very hungry from what I hear (no DIRECT experience with these)
Still might want to check if the mantis is a smasher (likely) or spearer, the latter which I'd be more concerned about with nano fish. There can be some Pseudosquilla mantis shrimp in FL live rocks (see KP aquatics website).

OP
OP
corosato

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add - it looks like you've got some red macroalgae (I can't tell what kind from the pics; sorry), some Halimeda algae, a red encrusting sponge, and possibly a red solitary tunicate but I can't tell for sure from the pic:

def some sort of tunicate or sea squirt, it has an in and out and moves very creepily. pretty sure that's a rental and won't make it

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def some sort of tunicate or sea squirt, it has an in and out and moves very creepily. pretty sure that's a rental and won't make it
If you want to try and help keep it alive longer, I'd suggest putting it somewhere where you can put some phytoplankton into the flow and have the flow carry the phyto to the tunicate - no guarantees it would help, but at least some phytos (like Isochrysis galbana) in high enough quantities have been shown to help some tunicates grow/survive.

OP
OP
corosato

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to try and help keep it alive longer, I'd suggest putting it somewhere where you can put some phytoplankton into the flow and have the flow carry the phyto to the tunicate - no guarantees it would help, but at least some phytos (like Isochrysis galbana) in high enough quantities have been shown to help some tunicates grow/survive.
will def try!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back