Live rock

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered KP and I’m always a big proponent of live rock. That said, if you want to save some, there’s nothing wrong with going 50/50 or even 25 live/75 dry, however I’ll agree with another user here, based on my experience, the dry is what I had the issues until it was properly colonized by the live rock.

My experience with KP has been great, however for me, I found their premium rock to be lacking compared to the premium from gulf live rock and Tampa bay saltwater that I’ve seen. Thankfully I ordered mostly base so didn’t waste much money on the KP premium.

OP
OP
V

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still looking at which vendor to buy from but I’m still confused on cycling with ocean rock.

Im seeing that most of the vendors sell a type of base rock and a premium rock. I'm also seeing that vendors like tbs are saying to not use their premium rock in a new tank because of die off I'm assuming. Considering that I won't be using light for about a month; is it in my best interest to just get base rock? If it doesn't really matter I would prefer premium rock so I can get all that extra stuff and such.

As for the actual cycle; do I just put the live rock into the new aquarium and look out for any dead critters? Do I only do a big water change if there is some die off? How big of a water change? Also, do I have to have the tank filled and running some days prior to adding the live rock or can I just fill it the same day I get the rock?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back