110 Gallon TallBoy

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this 110 Gallon Tall Boy over the weekend, been wanting to get into the saltwater game for a few months now after doing a lot of research. I had a 55 Gallon freshwater and got rid of it a few years back when I had moved. Came with a Wet/Dry trickle system (not a huge fan) might upgrade to a sump or turn it into a refugium also came with a UV sterilizer and some other stuff... live rock, sand....

In the process of cleaning the tank out and painting the stand black and adding a couple more features to it. (Pictures attached are of before I picked it up) more pictures to come.

New here, so anything thing you think might help me along the way is appreciated!!

thumbnail_IMG_5121.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5128.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5124.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5126.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5121.jpg

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this 110 Gallon Tall Boy over the weekend, been wanting to get into the saltwater game for a few months now after doing a lot of research. I had a 55 Gallon freshwater and got rid of it a few years back when I had moved. Came with a Wet/Dry trickle system (not a huge fan) might upgrade to a sump or turn it into a refugium also came with a UV sterilizer and some other stuff... live rock, sand....

In the process of cleaning the tank out and painting the stand black and adding a couple more features to it. (Pictures attached are of before I picked it up) more pictures to come.

New here, so anything thing you think might help me along the way is appreciated!!

thumbnail_IMG_5121.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5128.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5124.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5126.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5121.jpg
Looks good and welcome to the hobby!!

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great find! Welcome! Definitely consider a sump, it makes things a bit easier. Doesn't have to be fancy, lots of members just use the black stock tanks! Hang here long enough, you will find all kinds of info. Also BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has never ending videos on YouTube on EVERYTHING.

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a week, but finally got it repainted. Added some shelving inside to keep things alittle more organized. Sealed the inside edges and put down some high moisture paint. Stated my aqua scaping while I was in between things; waiting for paint to dry, cleaning... the dreaded filtering of 110+ gallons of RODI water.

Got it upstairs... NOT FUN! If it ever leaves this house its leaving in pieces. Added the rocks which I mostly had glued together in smaller chucks then added some more just to hold everything together from shifting. Started adding water last night, thought I would have enough thinking ill need at least another 20 gallons. Ill let the filter run again tonight and get the filter started up.

Attached some pictures.
thumbnail_62710459420__355BA25D-1701-4550-87ED-49C1D9268ADC.jpg
thumbnail_62736544272__F9713850-5BF0-42F9-A8DC-CD41A09F8C64.jpg

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on the canopy. Its painted, but when I got it, it had barrel hinges installed. I ordered new ones but I am not having the best of luck with them. Thinking I'm just going to need to get a different type of hinge.

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit a block in the road, got the filter all set up last night plugged it in checked the over flow to make sure I didnt fill it too much. Cannot get the water volume correct no matter how hard I try. Either its not enough and theres not enough water for the pump or when I cut the power theres too much water and the box is going to over flow. No clue what I am doing wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixed it thanks to some help on here!

Dumping an 8oz bottle of one and only in there today to start the cycle process.

I’m thinking my QT tank is almost done cycling... but I don’t think so. I’m going to give it some more time. I think it happened alittle too fast maybe add some ammonium chloride and see how fast it processes it.

Attachments

• 415E58AB-FA53-467F-9B90-5E49881B03F5.jpeg
    415E58AB-FA53-467F-9B90-5E49881B03F5.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical day in my life, I was working from home today and had idle hands, my return pipe was leaking alittle so I decided to tighten it..... bad idea. Very bad idea. Bulkhead cracked water everywhere. Ran to homedepot to to get something to fix it. Figured it out. Built something new, doesn’t leak at all.

Plus with the overflow drained I was able to reach down and grab the guard that had fallen down a few days back that I think was contributing to my sump overflow issue.

Dr Tim’s one and only didn’t come in today, delayed by amazon and my LFS doesn’t carry it, hopefully tomorrow.

Knotyet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good man I have the same tank

Attachments

• 20201107_113623.jpg
    20201107_113623.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my two Maroon clowns to QT last weekend, everything's been going okay. Been doing some upgrades to the CT added an ATO system over Thanksgiving weekend. Been looking into getting a new light for it.

After the clowns finish QT probably going to add some blue chromis then maybe a Flame Angel.

Still working on my stocking list, (Harder than I had thought.) I still think I have too many on my list for the size tank I have. Adding them in groups spaced apart by months.

Let me know your thoughts...

MAROON CLOWNFISH (2)

BLUE CHROMIS (3)
FLAME ANGLEFISH (1)

GREEN CLOWN GOBBY (1)
BLACK CAP BASSLET (1)
SUNBURST ANTHIAS (1)

GREEN/BLUE DRAGONET (1)

PURPLE TANG (1)
YELLOW TANG (2)
WHITE TAIL BRISLETOOTH TANG (1)

PICASSO HUMA HUMA TRIGGERFISH (1)

ALTERNATES/WANT CANT HAVE LIST...

KOLE TANG
LEMONPEEL ANGLEFISH
ONE SPOT FOXFACE
BLUE HIPPO TANG
CORAL BEAUTY ANGLEFISH
BLONDE NASO TANG
HENIUCHUS B&W BUTTERFLYFISH
COPPERBAND BUTTERFLYFISH
YELLOW LONGNOSE BUTTERFLYFISH
RED SAILFIN TANG
MOORISH IDOL
YELLOW WATCHMAN GOBY
LUNAR WARASSE
CONVICT TANG
HARLEY QUIN TUSK
BLACK LONGNOSE TANG
GEM TANG
BLACK CLOWNFISH
LAVENDER TANG
PURPLE FIREFISH

thumbnail_IMG_1026.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my two Maroon clowns to QT last weekend, everything's been going okay. Been doing some upgrades to the CT added an ATO system over Thanksgiving weekend. Been looking into getting a new light for it.

After the clowns finish QT probably going to add some blue chromis then maybe a Flame Angel.

Still working on my stocking list, (Harder than I had thought.) I still think I have too many on my list for the size tank I have. Adding them in groups spaced apart by months.

Let me know your thoughts...

MAROON CLOWNFISH (2)

BLUE CHROMIS (3)
FLAME ANGLEFISH (1)

GREEN CLOWN GOBBY (1)
BLACK CAP BASSLET (1)
SUNBURST ANTHIAS (1)

GREEN/BLUE DRAGONET (1)

PURPLE TANG (1)
YELLOW TANG (2)

KOLE TANG
LEMONPEEL ANGLEFISH
ONE SPOT FOXFACE
BLUE HIPPO TANG
CORAL BEAUTY ANGLEFISH
BLONDE NASO TANG
HENIUCHUS B&W BUTTERFLYFISH
COPPERBAND BUTTERFLYFISH
YELLOW LONGNOSE BUTTERFLYFISH
RED SAILFIN TANG
MOORISH IDOL
YELLOW WATCHMAN GOBY
LUNAR WARASSE
CONVICT TANG
HARLEY QUIN TUSK
BLACK LONGNOSE TANG
GEM TANG
BLACK CLOWNFISH
LAVENDER TANG
PURPLE FIREFISH

thumbnail_IMG_1026.jpg

MAROON CLOWNFISH (2)
Yes as long as they are both small and young. The WILL fight. Sometimes to the death of one or both. If they don't kill each other, one of them will turn to female and be dominate. Maroon clowns are the meanest of all the clownfish!

BLUE CHROMIS (3)
Maybe... They kill each other too.

FLAME ANGLEFISH (1)
No unless you don't plan on having SPS corals or clams or inverts.

GREEN CLOWN GOBBY (1)
Yes AFTER the tank is well established or it will starve.

BLACK CAP BASSLET (1)
Maybe... It's a MEAN fish that will harass other fish.

SUNBURST ANTHIAS (1)
Yes but again, wait till the tank is well established because you have to feed this fish several times a day.

GREEN/BLUE DRAGONET (1)
No. Not anytime soon. You HAVE to get a large self sustained pod population established way before adding this fish or it WILL starve.

PURPLE TANG (1)
YELLOW TANG (2)

Yes

NO! Not reef safe at all. Not invert safe at all. Not clean up crew safe at all.

KOLE TANG... Yes
LEMONPEEL ANGLEFISH...Maybe
ONE SPOT FOXFACE...Yes
BLUE HIPPO TANG...Maybe
CORAL BEAUTY ANGLEFISH...Maybe
BLONDE NASO TANG...Yes
HENIUCHUS B&W BUTTERFLYFISH...No
COPPERBAND BUTTERFLYFISH...No
YELLOW LONGNOSE BUTTERFLYFISH...No
RED SAILFIN TANG...Yes
MOORISH IDOL...NO!!!
YELLOW WATCHMAN GOBY...Yes after established
LUNAR WRASSE...Maybe
CONVICT TANG...Yes
HARLEY QUIN TUSK...NO!
BLACK LONGNOSE TANG...Yes
GEM TANG...Yes
BLACK CLOWNFISH...NO! Not with Maroon Clown
LAVENDER TANG...Yes
PURPLE FIREFISH...Yes

Keep in mind where you want the tank to end up. Not where it is now.
I would not get more than 2 tangs in a 110g.
You want to keep away from more aggressive fish in a 110 because you don't have a lot of space for fish to escape to. Cramped quarters will promote aggression and fish stress and illness.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently going through the ugly phase, good news is DT is fully cycled. Going to do a water change this weekend and pick up a clean up crew from my LFS. Still working on my stocking list and making some changes based on some feedback I've gotten.

Ordered some ARC Coralline quick start, owner of my LFS swears by it, figured id give it a try. Should be here this weekend.

Maroon Clowns are still in QT, almost down with copper treatment then going to do general cure.

Do the inverts need to QT or can I just drop them right in?
thumbnail_IMG_5195.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5197.jpg

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently going through the ugly phase, good news is DT is fully cycled. Going to do a water change this weekend and pick up a clean up crew from my LFS. Still working on my stocking list and making some changes based on some feedback I've gotten.

Ordered some ARC Coralline quick start, owner of my LFS swears by it, figured id give it a try. Should be here this weekend.

Maroon Clowns are still in QT, almost down with copper treatment then going to do general cure.

Do the inverts need to QT or can I just drop them right in?
thumbnail_IMG_5195.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5197.jpg
Regarding your quarantine question:

Requires a lot of patience but if you want to make sure nothing hitchhikes into the tank.

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, added both my Watanabi and Flame to the DT after QT this past weekend and added a few Sunburst Fatheads to QT yesterday (one didn’t make it through the night) (My first loss so far) added some coral as well.

Might have also lost my reef lobster or he could have molted, only time I’ve ever really seen him is when I put him in the DT.
92EBDA2A-C9AD-41EA-9D55-CDA495689B7F.jpeg

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!! Following...

id love to have a Flame Angel but I’m scared to death it may eat my corals, excited to follow along here and see how yours does. Good work so far!!

OP
OP
JamesRPaquette

JamesRPaquette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!! Following...

id love to have a Flame Angel but I’m scared to death it may eat my corals, excited to follow along here and see how yours does. Good work so far!!
Thanks!

Hes left my corals alone, granted I do not have many. A few Zoas, an encrusted monti, a mushroom, a green stary polyp and some other stuff that I don't know what it is... never touched a thing... yet. Neither does the Watanabi.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back