112 or 150? Stocking Ideas for Reef and Eel Lagoon

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to pull the trigger on a new Innovative marine lagoon tank in either the 112 or 150 gallon variants. My plan was a mixed reef with eels.

Right now based on what I am reading I would like to put

1 yellow or purple tang
1 Bluechin Trigger
2 snowflake eels

Open to other suggestions but those and coral are my real wants. Something that stays on the move like the tang and trigger are also of interest if they are large enough to avoid the eels. Open to other eels if any are known to be reef safe. Banana and dwarf eels look very interesting but these are my first eels plus I can get 7-8 in baby snowflakes from my LFS for 40 bucks.

Would these be happy in a 35x35x20 112 gallon or would they need the 150 to be happy?

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as those fish get bigger they would need a little more space. Especially tangs, they seem to prefer having more lateral space in one direction, as opposed to swimming in a more circular motion that this tank would provide. The being said the diagonal is a pretty decent 49" so that may help, but still likely not enough for either a fully grown Blue Throat or Yellow Tang.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For eels you can also get the snowflakes cousins of the echidna genus though I'd say that the skeletor is the only one as pretty as a snowflake and they're quite rare. If you keep to those eels you could add a fairly large range of fish to the tank as they are generally invert eaters (pebbletoothed eels). A dwarf or banana are both gymnothorax which would go after fish but they'd be fine with the trigger and a larger t yellow or purple tang. Snowflake eels are pretty small and not very active so a 112 would work fine.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For eels you can also get the snowflakes cousins of the echidna genus though I'd say that the skeletor is the only one as pretty as a snowflake and they're quite rare. If you keep to those eels you could add a fairly large range of fish to the tank as they are generally invert eaters (pebbletoothed eels). A dwarf or banana are both gymnothorax which would go after fish but they'd be fine with the trigger and a larger t yellow or purple tang. Snowflake eels are pretty small and not very active so a 112 would work fine.
What would you reccomend as a CUC for an eel tank? A cleaner shrimp off the table? I saw your amazing build and how much experience you have.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you reccomend as a CUC for an eel tank? A cleaner shrimp off the table? I saw your amazing build and how much experience you have.
Thank you. I’d go for urchins and brittle stars though the big Mexican turbo snails have also worked for me so far. As for cleaner shrimp a pebble toothed eel is likely to eat it unfortunately.

Last edited:

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You won't be disappointed with either. I have the 112 and I really like it. Something about a square tank is just awesome. I got mine with the stand and sump from IM.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be disappointed with either. I have the 112 and I really like it. Something about a square tank is just awesome. I got mine with the stand and sump from IM.
Mine will be a square setup actually. It is sharing its sump and will be back to back with a acrylic frag tank. Will be 360 viewable. 4 ft by 4 ft footprint with 10 inch frag section and covered piping. I really loved the 112 but wanted a little more room. Thank you so much for the assurance.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to all that helped. I bought the 150 and am making it a square tank with a frag tank on the back and covered plumbing on the rear, 360 view and serviceable.

I would love input on the updated stocking list. After doing more research, I might want to add a few more inhabitants.

1 yellow or purple tang
1 Bluechin Trigger
2 snowflake eels
1 Yellow Wrasse (or better coral cleaner is there is one, looking for suggestions)
1 one spot foxface or 1 copperband
Urchins and Turbo Snails for CUC (local experience has had success with this setup )

Last edited:

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to pull the trigger on a new Innovative marine lagoon tank in either the 112 or 150 gallon variants. My plan was a mixed reef with eels.

Right now based on what I am reading I would like to put

1 yellow or purple tang
1 Bluechin Trigger
2 snowflake eels

Open to other suggestions but those and coral are my real wants. Something that stays on the move like the tang and trigger are also of interest if they are large enough to avoid the eels. Open to other eels if any are known to be reef safe. Banana and dwarf eels look very interesting but these are my first eels plus I can get 7-8 in baby snowflakes from my LFS for 40 bucks.

Would these be happy in a 35x35x20 112 gallon or would they need the 150 to be happy?
Normally my vote would be for the bigger tank, but in this case the 112 should be fine, especially with the square foot print which will typically give you better aquascape options and your fish more turning room.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally my vote would be for the bigger tank, but in this case the 112 should be fine, especially with the square foot print which will typically give you better aquascape options and your fish more turning room.
I actually bought the 150 and have the biggest eshopps sump. I posted a potential updated list on the last post if you want to take an updated look. Much appreciated

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought the 150 and have the biggest eshopps sump. I posted a potential updated list on the last post if you want to take an updated look. Much appreciated
Oops sorry I was skimming the comments and somehow missed that! Good choice, can’t go wrong with a bigger tank, that’s what I always decide in the end too!!

And cool idea on the square setup with the frag tank in the back. If you do a build thread would be cool to see!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back