120 gal built into the wall

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ECB1B624-9E29-4DD4-96EB-0311C762ABB0.jpeg
AC942F5A-4D10-416F-853E-6FE68C33C9FE.jpeg

I’ve been procrastinating with this build b/c I wanted it to be perfect. Seems I’m always waiting on parts to finish ( do we ever really finish). It’s a 120 built into a living room wall. The back side is a closet where I will be able to do my water changes and feed. Hopefully I can get it wet by the end of the month. The top is my design and build. It’s my intentions to keep the salt creep down to a minimum. I’m using a circulation fan and carbon filter to add air in and reduce the smells. The filter/fan is used by hydroponic growers. I’ll add pics and posts as I finish. At the end will be a big unexpected surprise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ED3DCF1A-DD97-40BD-A9E1-04B2836BE7F8.jpeg
A65A46EC-EEBF-46D9-A89D-36AB99AA1383.jpeg

Backside of the hood

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Intake side of ventilation

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E9BB6388-C6FD-4020-BC2A-1B2902FF10F9.jpeg 935035B4-9BB6-48F6-9C12-3B0A315A2C19.jpeg B5C8AA04-FF5B-4A56-9D1C-31E9E4E0780D.jpeg Thanks for spotting this. We’re on our vacation till the 28th in OR. Monday I had my RODI running for the 1st time. It took me 2 months to get my tanks in. When we get back on the 28th I’ll start adding my salt mix to the DT. I’m not sure how well this ventilation system will function but hopefully it will reduce the smells, salt creep, and evaporation to a minimum.

Here are some picks of my RODI plumbing. I will be able to pump my salt mix to the floor above and also will use the pumps to keep it mixed up.

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I've updated. The tank was filled around the last week of May and after finding and fixing the plumbing leaks, all is well. It took about 10 days to complete the cycle. On advice, I used Microbe-lift special blend by Ecological Laboratories to jump start my bacteria on day 7. Worked great. All my chemistry began to take shape after that. On day we added fish: 3 domino damsels, 2 saddle back clowns, a royal gramma basslet, and an orchid dottyback. I'm feeding Omega One Marine Pellets (garlic) and NutriDiet Marine flakes as the daily diet and feeding frozen brine shrimp on occasion. So far the clowns don't seem to like any of the above. Not sure what to feed them...I'd love to hear some suggestions. Today I added a coral banded shrimp to keep the bottom clean and will add some blood red fire shrimps later this month.

So far we've lost one royal gramma basslet and MIA one domino. No idea at all where it is. Not in the sump, or on the floor or in the tank. Now we have our first algae on the highest rocks. I'm sitting here watching it release it's bubbles.

Tank and top design is working like a charm. Not sure how to set the maxspect for best effect. I have a 230 master and slave set on 10% but can't go any higher due to the currents.

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ab2c60c81ad22e8b2874310712c9ff9a.jpg

This was done by a close friend of ours. It is pyrography, burning the art into wood. He designed the art and it took him 40 hours to burn it in.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your tank build thread here after chatting on the local forum. Very nice looking build! I also have a 120 (my only tank now) that's been going for almost 7 years. I really like the size. Kudos to your creativity going "In Wall"!

OP
OP
GWHouston

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, So much has changed since my FO in the 90's. I got lazy when the house was finished, got married in 04, and just kept putting it off. I'm too much of OCD and a perfectionist to do it any other way. Plus it helps the Ms like the look without all the sound. She hates all the algae growing right now but I'm waiting on my BRS shipment today with my magnet glass cleaner. The hood design is working great as I have very little salt creep, temps stay almost constant without a heater, and the power vent keeps the smells down. We'll add LPS after the Destin trip in July.
What did you think of the RODI closet? I'm just as proud of that as I am the tank. Look forward to meeting you in August.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the RODI area you've made. I still use the laundry room with a couple of brute trash cans on wheels to cart my water around. I only have to fill the ato reservoir every two weeks, so it's not too bad with a one story house.

We've been to Destin many times and really enjoy the area. It's been a while though, maybe 5 years or so. Seems we can't get enough of St. George Island and tend to go there most times we head south. Likewise, looking forward to meeting in August.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back