120 Gal Tang Set up

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi all,

I'm thinking about adding another gem tank to my tank please share your thoughts on it. With my current tangs in there I think am able to pull it off but trying to see if anyone else has succeeding in putting two in one tank.

All fish currently get along fine. My last fish was adding a small purple tang to the mix. The yellow tang is smaller the gem as of now.

Current stock.

2 x Marine betta
2 x Storm Clowns
1 x Bellus Angel
1 x Blonde Naso
2 x Blue Hippos
1 x Gem tang
1 x Purple tang
1 x Yellow tang

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@6 tangs I suspect you're already close to being (or already) maxed out.
+1 to this, if a 120g tank is 5’ then I wouldn’t add any more, especially as the tangs you have now get quite big (Some reaching over 1’).

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re maxed out and I’d say over the limit of what I’d put in a 120. That Blonde Naso will have to be removed, the Zebrasomas may start fighting down the line. And the Blue Hippos will likely need to be removed as well. In a 120 I’d only really do a 2, maybe 3 Tangs. If 2, a Zebrasoma and a Ctenochaetus. If it’s a 5’ tank you may be able to get away with a small Acanthurus species too, but what you have is way too many. Why not pair your Bellus instead and remove some of the Tangs? Or you could even fit a smaller species of Chaetodontoplus angel. Apolemichthys xanthotis is also an angel that isn’t too big. I’d really cut back on the Tangs and have more angels but you’re talking to an angel buff.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re maxed out and I’d say over the limit of what I’d put in a 120. That Blonde Naso will have to be removed, the Zebrasomas may start fighting down the line. And the Blue Hippos will likely need to be removed as well. In a 120 I’d only really do a 2, maybe 3 Tangs. If 2, a Zebrasoma and a Ctenochaetus. If it’s a 5’ tank you may be able to get away with a small Acanthurus species too, but what you have is way too many. Why not pair your Bellus instead and remove some of the Tangs? Or you could even fit a smaller species of Chaetodontoplus angel. Apolemichthys xanthotis is also an angel that isn’t too big. I’d really cut back on the Tangs and have more angels but you’re talking to an angel buff.
+1 on this however I wouldn’t go full on angels and would go for a butterfly, most likely Forcipiger longirostris along with some dwarf angels and then some wrasses and gobies.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah some butterflies and wrasses and gobies are really nice too. xD I wonder if many species of Gobies aren’t too difficult to breed for the home aquarist willing to do research?
That’s my hopes too, I’d love to breed some of my favourites…. Captive bred Discordipinna griessingeri, can you imagine haha

OP
OP
jp415

jp415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've tried to add another male bellus but my female bellus did not allow him in the tank so I had to rehome that one.

I'll try to add the gem and see if it will work. Worst case I can always rehome it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just hearsay but I’ve heard people say it’s better to add a smaller female to your larger one than add a male to an established female outright.
+1 to this, I too have heard this said and although I’ve never tried it it does make more sense.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah some butterflies and wrasses and gobies are really nice too. xD I wonder if many species of Gobies aren’t too difficult to breed for the home aquarist willing to do research?
A bit off topic, I know, but… I’m not sure about the really tiny species (I suspect a lot of these would require Parvocalanus pods, which are much more difficult to culture) or any particularly rare species, but there are several different gobies that can be raised on just S-Strain Rotifers or those and Artemia (BBS), so there are at least a handful of species that (at least in theory) aren’t too much more difficult to breed/rear than clownfish (such as Gobiodon genus clown gobies, the green banded goby, the crested oyster goby, the orange spotted goby, etc. - of these, I know at least the first three listed have been bred successfully by hobbyists).

Back on topic, I have to agree that you’re probably overstocked with the tangs in that size of tank (particularly with the Naso), but, given that things are going well for you so far, I’d say try it. Like you said, you can rehome it if needed. I’d just also be prepared to rehome some of your other tangs in the future too, as they may well stop doing fine in that tank as they grow. Just my two cents there.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back