120 gallon REPTILE tank, drilling gone wrong. Paludarium Clownfish Harem.

MiloSyko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently working on a very new art piece with stuff I had in storage. I am aiming to have one of the most unique tank you will have ever seen.

D4C61781-3598-4493-AD0F-4CC87BA4609B.jpeg

Starting with the tank, I have a 120 gallon reptile tank. That’s right a reptile tank. I was sold this beauty for $40 because the guy really wanted to get rid of his ex’s stuff. I thought it was an actual 120 fish tank but then later found out there’s a hole in the center of the back glass for the ventilation of reptiles ;Facepalm. I thought of patching the hole and filling it up but the glass is also very thin on the front and back side. In the mean time I used it to house my hamster but still had some crazy ideas for it.
6CD5051E-12A0-4E20-AEE8-8606C13E01D7.jpeg
I designed a stand for it and bought the supplies for it.
758FC104-184D-4D96-9920-329BDF31FE64.png
While I was building the stand I decided to fill up the tank to see if it even holds water. For the “temporary“ stand I flipped over a modern book shelf and put the tank on top. I ended up loving how it looked. I thought I wanted a tall stand but the short stand gave it so much more of a modern look. The top view was also just stunning. I ended up giving up on the stand and have planned to build a proper stand into the shelf. I also removed the trim on the tank because I felt it didn’t really contribute structurally to the tank and rimless tanks are just beautiful. Then now I decided to put the rocks in the tank to get cycled. I went a little overboard and now I have this.
41BEA435-734C-41FB-A3CE-DE4399F0F1BE.jpeg

Some might think the tank is done but I still have to build the stand, modify the shelf, empty it and put the tank back on top. Right now it is only filled to about 40 gallons of water. I have purchased most of the stuff for the permanent build.

Stocking!
The Clownfish Harem idea came to me when I was at the fish store. Their clownfish tank was a shallow frag tank with the top view being the main viewing angle. I thought this would be perfect to replicate that. My clownfish that I have downstairs are paired and are getting ready to spawn. Everything is just perfect. The male is a hybrid of a maroon clownfish and a ocellaris clownfish, the female is full ocellaris. The name of the hybrid is called Mai Tai. I love the look of the Mai Tais but as it got older it looks a little more like a maroon clownfish. The offspring will be a perfect mix. I can’t wait to document the breeding and growing of the offspring. I also found a breeder that’s willing to give me 12 offspring for this build in case I can’t successfully breed my pair. I have ordered 50 mangroves from Hawaii for the tank. The reason I got this many is because the germination rates I have experience have been relatively low. I can’t wait for the tank to mature so I can get a bunch of sand sifting starfish.
Not my pic, but a photo of what the male looks like;
EF7731A0-0522-4D1A-B97A-CF62EF549610.jpeg

For the filter, I am using a canister filter just to cycle the media. I am planning to add a sump to this which is going to be a struggle to work into my stand. I have ordered 150 watt NICREW Reef lights off Amazon for $150 each, and a Kessil Spectral X controller for $100. For permanent filtration I am planning on using the ventilation hole for an Eclipse M Overflow. The hole is 2in which should be perfect for the overflow. The only thing I have to plan out is the water level. With the overflow I have to fill it up 1in higher than the predrilled hole. That would be extremely risky on the thin glass and I also have to find a way to make the rocks higher. I could drill another hole, but then now I have to deal with the old random hole.

image.jpg

I’m getting super excited for this build. I will update all the things I do to it, feel free to follow along!

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! 50 mangroves wow!

You mentioned a sump, will you be putting a bulkhead through that hole and draining water there?

OP
OP
MiloSyko

MiloSyko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update:
I got the lights installed. These cheap amazon lights really surprised me. I could of totally gotten away with only using one. The light is extremely bright I only was able to use 25 percent power without lighting up the entire living room. I have also spent a good amount of money on a used PAR meter. Hopefully I can soon find out exactly how good these lights are.
03DFCF52-E011-4BA5-B67F-50B2D96BDA86.jpeg

Here is the tragic part. So the tall pre drilled hole meant I would have to fill up the tank 3/4 full. That ruined my whole idea of a lagoon, so I had the great idea of drilling the tank. This is how that turned out. I assumed because there was already a drilled hole that this was not tempered. I spent the whole night cleaning this up lol.
9152E973-9845-45EE-96D4-374F086D92CE.jpeg

Don’t worry though this isn’t the end of this project. This is actually really awesome. I have an old tank that I can recycle the glass and have a shorter front panel. It will be cut to the height if the water, giving a better view of the rock work and plants out of the water. I have the tank cleaned up and ready for the new glass. All I have to work out now is the new overflow location. I can maybe use the side panel since it is thicker, but I am also very afraid of breaking that too.
Here is a photo of the glass thicknesses. I am so dumb for not realizing the thinness was due to it being tempered.
D63D892A-7F33-43F6-99F4-934CA98DD1CF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MiloSyko

MiloSyko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! 50 mangroves wow!

You mentioned a sump, will you be putting a bulkhead through that hole and draining water there?
I originally was planning on using that hole for the overflow. Then drilling another hole on the same side for the return. But as you can see in the update it did not turn out as expected. So I am back to square one.

Andy.Lyfe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that mush if been a pain in the butt to clean... I do love the idea of the new shorter panel front glass. Reminds me of the guy on youtube who build this Bamboo tank

OP
OP
MiloSyko

MiloSyko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that mush if been a pain in the butt to clean... I do love the idea of the new shorter panel front glass. Reminds me of the guy on youtube who build this Bamboo tank

This was actually the kind of content that motivated me to attempt this tank, but in saltwater ahah.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally was planning on using that hole for the overflow. Then drilling another hole on the same side for the return. But as you can see in the update it did not turn out as expected. So I am back to square one.
Wow that's a shape. But a shorter front pane sounds pretty cool. Fwiw I work with glass (not fish tanks) and in my experience tempered class always has a small etched in marking in one of the corners that says tempered. It's kind of hard to see and might be undesirable on a fish tank so I'm not sure if this applies or not

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back