FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
icon7.gif
120 gallon upgrade
(advice from another poster)When you upgrade:

Obviously, prep your new tank with all of the fun stuff and get it plumbed. It's much easier to make changes and adjustments with an empty tank. Trust me, I had to empty out my new 95 gallon after tranferring over 50 gallons from my old tank because the fuge wouldn't fit in the door or in the back. Had to empty the tank and place the fuge through the top of the stand...lol

Two days before: Mix some fresh SW and make sure the SG and temp match your tank water.

Transfer over as much of the clean water from the upper half of the tank as possible. Avoid taking water after the sand has been stirred up because it's full of nasty stinky stuff.

1st: Take out the rock and corals first and place them in 5 gallon buckets with some of your tank water.

2nd: Get your fish,CUC, and inverts out: Place them in a separate bucket

3rd: Place your rock in the new tank prior to adding the sand. Placing the rocks on the sand will cause die off underneath the rocks

4th: When removing the sand I use a strainer and rinse the sand with the remaining tank water. You'll still have beneficial bacteria in there, but you want to remove as much of the detritus as possible.

5th: Add the sand around the rocks

6th: You'll get some displacement of the water, so it should be about 30-40% full of water. Maybe less because your upgrading, but just add your freshly mixed saltwater.

7th: Add your livestock and leave the lights off for a few hours, so they have time to adjust.

in my situation I was thinking.

I am upgrading from a 55 to a 120 drilled (woohooo)
anyways at the end of this week I would like to set up the 120
because I am increasing in size I was going to add new sand plus and extra 50 lbs of live rock. it is the dry type very cheap stark white.
I have 60+lbs of very cycled rock in my 55 gallon tank

I was reading your post above and wondering if I should set up the new tank with all new water +new sand +new rock and wait a few days.
I can make sure the water params of new= water params of old.(or close)

If I follow your procedure above for only the existing tank since one tank is literally around the corner would I not just put the rock in a 5 gallon bucket of water walk it over to new tank and set it in carefully until all the new rock is moved.(after acclimation with new tank water say over 30 mins ?)
(yes I will remember to cyphon out say 20 gallons of water off the top first.)

anyways then catch fish + CUC put them in another 5 gallon bucket walk them over and
acclimate them by dropping in some of teh new tanks water say 1 cup at a time(remember they are in a 5 gallon bucket of old tank water)

I have been advised to use old sand very sparingly and only after sifting it as you suggested above (thanks to those from this site who suggested using 5 cups?)

I am setting up a new sump as well so was hoping to have the whole new tank up and runnning for a few days then just slide stuff from one room to the next
acclimating corals and fish of course.

thanks

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

So I changed my idea on the drainage setup and went with a cleanout cap and adapter.
I just pull out the cap screw in the 2' long pipe with a 90 pre glued onto it and wallah I am draining from the tank straight to a bucket.

I also took one pic of the whole tank though right now its pretty barren I have added the 5 huge pieces of dry live rock one 50 lb bag of sand and I dropped in 3 cups of live sand from the old tank last night.

I also have another question "does anyone use more than one sump per tank?"

Just wondering cause I could use my old 20 gal and my old 30 gallon. does using 2 different sized tanks make for all kinds of problems?

here are the pics.
drainage.jpg

bucket.jpg

the window seen in this pic is a reflection there is a window in the room just not at the end of the tank LOL
firsttankshot.jpg

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think there would be any leaking or salt creep when having the cap on? Maybe you can add another ball valve there if so? Then you wouldn't even need a cap.

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salt creep

it does drip and since I pull the cap off at least once a week I am not worried about the salt creep building up. If I was to add another valve then it would hit the door.

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONE Day transfer

I started at 8am this morning transferred all the rock with corals to buckets with 1/2 new tank water and 1/2 old tank water. (course the parameters were very close anyways)
only param I was off was calcium in new tank is a little low at 340 old tank was 380 currently.

have checked nitrates all day and no nitrates in new tank yet so hopefullly thats a good sign.
Old tank looks horrid with a black cloudy guck that appears to be settling out a layer of silt.

I am still fishing out snails from time to time as they run up the glass and do not have lights on either tank yet.

Both tanks still running sumps for today.
Here are some pics of the new setup.
fulltank.jpg

rocksetup.jpg

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
berghia nudibranches.
anyone know who sells them locally?
I bought some pepermint shrimp but I still have around 5 apitasia at any one time.
I was reading these little guys would do a job on them and get rid of the problem.
anyone ever tried this and have some extras to sell or
know a good place to buy some berghia's.

in the upgrade I lost my branching coral and my pocipora seems to have gone white except the polyps at the top.

Back