120 Pirate Mixed Reef Build!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As good as everything has been running, just noticed that one of my acros RTN'd overnight on me! It was my Terra Red Acro from WWC. It encrusted really great, had great color and appeared just fine. I just ran parameters last night and everything was fine. Not seeing any other issues with any of the other acros or SPS.

I cut off the frag, but left the encrusted plug to see if it continues or to see if it survives.

64875224377__80D52FAD-F0C6-4BF1-8576-B312C8D43D6E.jpeg
64875226559__341EE852-E91C-4845-BAC4-D238E4E589C3.jpeg
good luck. Hope it turns out ok

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some updates on the Pirate tank!
Still fighting Aiptasia. It's gotten bad. Check out the video below to see how the battle is going.
Recently installed a Neptune Trident. The whole unboxing and setup was filmed, along with my thoughts on the system. This will most likely be the next episode of T.J.'s Reef.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased 15 Berghia Nudis from ReefTown and put them in the tank today. Great packaging and shipping! No losses! Let’s hope they do their job.

Attachments

• 0F2901F6-62CE-415E-AE62-1B824CF4747F.jpeg
    0F2901F6-62CE-415E-AE62-1B824CF4747F.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 98C00E6B-9DE5-4138-83FD-9F3145B1F7BA.jpeg
    98C00E6B-9DE5-4138-83FD-9F3145B1F7BA.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has been going on with the Pirate Reef 120, and all of it good.
Dinos eradicated.
Aiptasia eradicated.
New fish happy.
Corals growing.

Overall I'm very happy with how things are progressing, but I think it can be even better. That's why, I'm switching over to the Reef Moonshiner's method on this tank. I'll be documenting the entire process on my YouTube channel, so make sure to check it out if you want to learn more about the 'Shine, and how it ends up working for me.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I FINALLY received my box from GARF. I had orders a couple bag of bugs, along with their Grunge Plus.
The box was sent out on Tuesday night, and arrived at Noon today (Friday). The heat packs were cold, the bags were extremely cloudy and smelled like death.

I took the big clumps of Chaeto out, and it still was nice and green. It was filled with worms that were a mix of dead and barely alive. I put the Chaeto in the sump and many worms came back and started to move about. The remaining cloudy water had about a dozen dead, floating pods in it, and I couldn't see anything else moving in the bags. Needless to say, I dumped the remaining contents.

The Grunge bags were just as bad, if not worse. The water was black, and that horrible "I just dug up my sandbed" smell. I tried to scoop as much of the larger stuff into my sump as I could, avoiding the black water when I could. The only living things I saw were more worms (bristle).

My DT is pretty cloudy from adding the grunge, but my biggest concern is triggering a mini-cycle. My bioload isn't very big, and I have quite a lot of rock and other bio-media, so I'm hoping that the bacteria can handle the additional load.

Time will tell!

Jesse571

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that haven't seen me around, here's a brief history:
I've been in the hobby for 20+ years. Started with small tanks, went big, then smaller now back to bigger. My old tanks were all mixed reef, as are my current ones. Been around long enough to remember when LED's were starting to be talked about. Not just talked about, but laughed at! A lot of us in the reefing community thought that LED's with their low power consumption could never replace our 30 pound metal halide ballasts. I love it when we're wrong!!

Anyway, fast forward to today. I currently have a 40g cube that just hasn't satisfied me after tearing down my previous 125g. So, on to the 120 build!
In addition to documenting things here, I'll also be documenting everything my reefing channel: T.J.'s Reef
Please check out the channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBUxSJme8dK3uxg-guB3H2Q/

With this build I wanted to do it right, but also as budget friendly as I could. At my age, and with my experience, I've learned that the newest and most expensive thing isn't always the best in this hobby. Don't get me wrong, I'm a gadget and tech nerd. But some things just aren't worth it.

So here we go!

The tank I bought used off of a fellow member in the local Arizona Reef group. I was about to pull the pin and buy the exact same tank new, only to find that the manufacturer (Aqueon) sometimes uses tempered glass on their tanks. I wanted to drill for a ghost overflow box, so tempered glass isn't an option. Well, low and behold, the previous owner got one without tempered glass and already has an Eshopps ghost overflow installed!
IMG_9760.jpg

The tank is an Aqueon 120. Dimensions are approx 48x24x24. Managed to get this bad boy for $200, including a sump!
IMG_9769.jpg

So, where am I in the build? Well, I've been doing a lot of research on different equipment. Again, best bang for the buck (isn't what we all want??).

Here's the gear list so far:
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 150SSS - Purchased
Media Reactor: BRS Dual GFO/Carbon Reactor with Syncra 1.5 pump - Purchased
Return Pump: Reef Octopus VarioS-4 - Purchased
Heater: BRS Titanium with Inkbird controller - Purchased
Lighting: ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2+ - Purchased
Supplemental: 2 x ReefBreeders 48" LumenBars (HO UV & Royal Ice) - Purchased
Auto Top Off: Apex ATK - Purchased
Dosing Equip
: TBD
Refugium Light: Kessil H80 - Purchased
UV Sterilizer
: TBD
Wavemakers/Powerhead: 2 x ReefBreeders Reef Power RP-M - Purchased

Feel free to comment on the equipment list, and anything else! Thanks for stopping by!
How do you like your Reefbreeders Wavemakers? I’m thinking of buying two for my 75 gallon 4’ mixed reef. I have the Reefbreeders Photon Pro 48” and it’s just great for growing coral. Had Kessils before but this is much better. Nice build!

Jesse571

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has been going on with the Pirate Reef 120, and all of it good.
Dinos eradicated.
Aiptasia eradicated.
New fish happy.
Corals growing.

Overall I'm very happy with how things are progressing, but I think it can be even better. That's why, I'm switching over to the Reef Moonshiner's method on this tank. I'll be documenting the entire process on my YouTube channel, so make sure to check it out if you want to learn more about the 'Shine, and how it ends up working for me.
How did you get rid of your Aiptasia? I have tried File Fish and Peppermint shrimp and now trying Nudi’s…which I haven’t seen any success yet. Tried all the Aipasia X etc…but mine are in hard to reach areas.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your Reefbreeders Wavemakers? I’m thinking of buying two for my 75 gallon 4’ mixed reef. I have the Reefbreeders Photon Pro 48” and it’s just great for growing coral. Had Kessils before but this is much better. Nice build!
I'm no longer using them, and instead switched over to two MP40's, which I love!

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get rid of your Aiptasia? I have tried File Fish and Peppermint shrimp and now trying Nudi’s…which I haven’t seen any success yet. Tried all the Aipasia X etc…but mine are in hard to reach areas.
Your answer is here:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back