125 Gal Reboot 2020

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read my build thread, you'll see that 2018 was an almost impossible year. I ended my tale of woes at around September. October my mother who lived with us started getting sick. In November, she died pretty suddenly (colon cancer spread to lungs and brain). The blessing is she didn't know. Went into the ER, had a seizure and never recovered. Gone in hours. So the rest of 2018 was dealing with that. In Dec/Jan 2019 we had the master bedroom painted (her room/studio and she was a smoker). The painters used a strong primer for smoke.

What I didn't know: the stuff smelled so bad you couldn't breathe. I shut the door, put a blanket across bottom and shut all doors and windows. The next day, both my tanks, and the coral frag tank were white. I did water changes immediately. It was a few months before I noticed at least half my fish in each tank were missing, and my corals were dead or dying.

I realized the white cloud was a bacteria bloom caused by dead fish caused by the primer! I was heartbroken. Some of those fish I'd had since the beginning. Then before I could start the process of rebooting, my dau decided to get married in Croatia--a destination wedding. That meant no money for new fish or corals and a solid 6 months of wedding stuff. I also started a part time retail job just to be out of the house some as my mother lived with me for 16 years.

I also took down the red sea 66 gal, and the 40 gal frag tank and the qt tank. I didn't want a pet sitter dealing with topping off so many tanks! I added more rock to the 125 and to the Refug

So Sept. we were in Europe, came home, holidays for retail hit and my poor tank has suffered horribly. Algae issues, can't get alkalinity where it needs to be and there are only some mushrooms, zoas ricordias and leathers--1 is an oversized monster!. All super blah. Even the remaining fish are pretty blah. So 2020 is time to reboot.

Right now I'm not all that excited over the tank but that's because it's in an awful state. I'm going to do a water change either Sunday or Tue, use that water for the new qt tank (40 gal frag tank). Pull what algae I can, clean sand etc. Test and dose. And I'll get some clean up crew ordered. All the power heads need cleaning and my light timer isn't working, so I need to do a major go thru everything.

Then I'm thinking I'll get some tangs -- Prob. 3-5 yellow tangs to see if that helps with the algae and another sand sifter. I'll upload some pics after I get a water change done and clean the glass. Ashamed to put a pic up now!

What advice can you give someone who had 2 great tanks and now has an ugly tank! What I'd love is to find a service to help get it back on track!! or just get it going and rediscover my love and yes, I realize the last few years have been emotional rollercoasters so takes time.

Stock aside from soft corals is 3 clowns, 1 barber shop goby w/pistol shrimp, lawn mower blenny, 1 or 2 mandarins. Haven't seen 1 for a while, 1 blue-green chromis, 6 stag-something chromis (supposed to be lemon but got sent those. Blah pale blue-green), yellow tail damsel, red hawkfish (love this guy.) There is a huge leather in the center which is impressive but to me isn't exciting. Too big.

I'll post some pics after I get some stuff done like cleaning the class....

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read my build thread, you'll see that 2018 was an almost impossible year. I ended my tale of woes at around September. October my mother who lived with us started getting sick. In November, she died pretty suddenly (colon cancer spread to lungs and brain). The blessing is she didn't know. Went into the ER, had a seizure and never recovered. Gone in hours. So the rest of 2018 was dealing with that. In Dec/Jan 2019 we had the master bedroom painted (her room/studio and she was a smoker). The painters used a strong primer for smoke.

What I didn't know: the stuff smelled so bad you couldn't breathe. I shut the door, put a blanket across bottom and shut all doors and windows. The next day, both my tanks, and the coral frag tank were white. I did water changes immediately. It was a few months before I noticed at least half my fish in each tank were missing, and my corals were dead or dying.

I realized the white cloud was a bacteria bloom caused by dead fish caused by the primer! I was heartbroken. Some of those fish I'd had since the beginning. Then before I could start the process of rebooting, my dau decided to get married in Croatia--a destination wedding. That meant no money for new fish or corals and a solid 6 months of wedding stuff. I also started a part time retail job just to be out of the house some as my mother lived with me for 16 years.

I also took down the red sea 66 gal, and the 40 gal frag tank and the qt tank. I didn't want a pet sitter dealing with topping off so many tanks! I added more rock to the 125 and to the Refug

So Sept. we were in Europe, came home, holidays for retail hit and my poor tank has suffered horribly. Algae issues, can't get alkalinity where it needs to be and there are only some mushrooms, zoas ricordias and leathers--1 is an oversized monster!. All super blah. Even the remaining fish are pretty blah. So 2020 is time to reboot.

Right now I'm not all that excited over the tank but that's because it's in an awful state. I'm going to do a water change either Sunday or Tue, use that water for the new qt tank (40 gal frag tank). Pull what algae I can, clean sand etc. Test and dose. And I'll get some clean up crew ordered. All the power heads need cleaning and my light timer isn't working, so I need to do a major go thru everything.

Then I'm thinking I'll get some tangs -- Prob. 3-5 yellow tangs to see if that helps with the algae and another sand sifter. I'll upload some pics after I get a water change done and clean the glass. Ashamed to put a pic up now!

What advice can you give someone who had 2 great tanks and now has an ugly tank! What I'd love is to find a service to help get it back on track!! or just get it going and rediscover my love and yes, I realize the last few years have been emotional rollercoasters so takes time.

Stock aside from soft corals is 3 clowns, 1 barber shop goby w/pistol shrimp, lawn mower blenny, 1 or 2 mandarins. Haven't seen 1 for a while, 1 blue-green chromis, 6 stag-something chromis (supposed to be lemon but got sent those. Blah pale blue-green), yellow tail damsel, red hawkfish (love this guy.) There is a huge leather in the center which is impressive but to me isn't exciting. Too big.

I'll post some pics after I get some stuff done like cleaning the class....
Hi Susan,

Wow. You’ve certainly been through a lot and I hope things get better for you over time. I can imagine how overwhelmed you must feel and maybe rebooting your tank is a way of taking back some control.

It sounds like you’re an experienced reefer (I’ve been at this six months so always learning) so go with what you know. Not sure it will work for you, but for projects like this I organize my thoughts and then prioritize everything that needs to be done. By the way not everything can be a priority. :) Then I just start working through each task. Just knock them out one at a time. Each is a small win and it’s also progress.

Im sure if you post a “reboot” thread we’d all like to see it. Good luck and I hope you have a great day!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my build thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/susans-grand-adventure-125-reef-build.342056/#post-4271586 I promise to post some pics in next couple days. Maybe a "before" would be good. I can only go up lol's

Going to make my salt water this morning and if not too tired when I get home from work, I'll do a water change. Goinig to drain most of the sump to get any crud out. Maybe I'll order some chaeto for the sump to help with nutrients. Will take some rock out maybe.

One thing I did after our trip last fall, I took the 37 gal qt tank and turned it into a fresh water tank for grandkids. It sits low for them. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy fresh water fish as well. Just have a betta, a bunch of tetras and cats and algae eaters and plants. It's nice and soothing! Someday I'll expand that tank into a larger one.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More power to you girl! It's our tanks that bring sanity into our lives. After all you've been through and are still at it - that's a positive in my book!

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More power to you girl! It's our tanks that bring sanity into our lives. After all you've been through and are still at it - that's a positive in my book!

Well said! Its easy to throw in the towel but to step up and continue on is a trooper! Best of luck on your new reboot! This is a great community that will always cheer you on!!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that just taking this step, returning here, and getting all the nice words of encouragement is the biggest boost ever. Feel like there is a cheer leader team behind me, lol's

I took that first step tonight after work. 3 hours of cleaning and water change. Need more salt water for the qt tank. Used abut 20 gal old tank water, some rock from refugium and some extra dry rock to get it going.

going to fish store tomorrow. Qt won't be ready. These guys will go in directly. Need algae eaters and sand sifters. And clean up crew.

parameters were actually decent. Was surprised!!

One question: do I have too much rock in there? I'm going to add 3-5 tangs. Yellow, or 3 yellow and 2 others different familys

Before
20200125_193040_resized.jpg
20200125_193047_resized.jpg

after
20200125_215839_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fun part of the reboot!! Hit a lfs (3 of them) and got some new corals and my tangs, foxface and a tiny goby. Feeling the excitement again. I was debating tossing in the towel! Got a christmas rock for 50 bucks with a green hairy mushroom, a long tentacle gonapora, a nice 7 head or so duncan, 2 zoas and a brown stick tossed in. and 2 chalices I think Lights are down right now

20200126_194814_resized.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back