120 gallon rip clean

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to perform a rip clean on my 120 with 100% new water. The tank has been running for 5 years and was battling Dino for several months. I used the bacteria method from elegant corals and worked great I haven’t seen Dino in months now. But I tried several other methods including Dino-X. I’m currently running fallow so no fish to worry about. I just got a 55 gallon tank and new filter. I plan on using for corals and inverts. I’m wondering if I should use new water in the 55 or transfer the corals and inverts in the old water?
DCBB4DEC-6905-4A74-99C1-8CFC7FC86069.jpeg
0A209B30-1D30-4DF2-A971-C075E8ACD482.jpeg
4EA8AA08-715C-45CC-98FB-97268E814A03.jpeg
FE7845E8-823B-4E15-8B9A-8F384AEB2B9D.jpeg
5BD7E18E-4D39-46C6-8922-FDD74E3D9F74.jpeg
9C5BEAED-6110-4793-9FA8-51D4027A4BE7.jpeg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you all the luck in the world. It took me nearly a week to properly rebuild my system, but I went overboard trying to fix every issue I had on the previous rebuild.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you all the luck in the world. It took me nearly a week to properly rebuild my system, but I went overboard trying to fix every issue I had on the previous rebuild.
Thanks. I’m just getting started and I know it will be a lot of work.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think ima flip flop I love deep cleans more than anything

But that looks wonderful, up close in macro, it’s perfection above ? I thought I saw pics of a far rougher setup?? Is the goal to move transfer all those great corals to the fifty five

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think ima flip flop I love deep cleans more than anything

But that looks wonderful, up close in macro, it’s perfection above ? I thought I saw pics of a far rougher setup?? Is the goal to move transfer all those great corals to the fifty five
Yes corals and inverts need to be moved to the 55 so I can drain and clean the 120 then fill the 120 with RODI and mix the salt in the tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That system above is so purple and nice we will enjoy this work thread you’re making quite a bit! Clean easy moves coming up, low rebound light levels in the receiving tank so we don’t burn those lp record-sized chalices etc I bet this goes great. By reefing so well in the main system, so clean, the move transfer will be safer and easier. Right up close you don’t show messy organic pocketing around corals or on rocks or sand areas that’s a nice balance above

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure new water won’t hurt those corals upon relocation, the intense light burn is the risk/easy ramp back up and cleaned sandbed will care for that system very well

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure new water won’t hurt those corals upon relocation, the intense light burn is the risk/easy ramp back up and cleaned sandbed will care for that system very well
Sounds good I’ll just temp and salinity match. Or should all the parameters match?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All pico reefs and nano reefs I know using same corals can take matching only temp and salinity, I don't even own any other testers for reefing how funny is that/vs testing we small tankers use water changes to rebalance, I only do complete changes so I can go longest between service intervals. My mixed Lps and sps pico at 14yrs has had at least eight hundred or so full wc matching only those two. In addition, my reef is left drained unnecessarily long lol just to exercise the system corals in the air, don't do that part lol those guys above we keep wet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Write everything down in the order you want it done. Think everything over and fix any issue you had with the current build.
All pico reefs and nano reefs I know using same corals can take matching only temp and salinity, I don't even own any other testers for reefing how funny is that/vs testing we small tankers use water changes to rebalance, I only do complete changes so I can go longest between service intervals. My mixed Lps and sps pico at 14yrs has had at least eight hundred or so full wc matching only those two.
I do try to keep my parameters close to the salt I use but I’ve been battling Dino and high nutrients has become normal for me. Should I add some nutrients to the new 55 or can I finally get off the high nutrient kick?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino work and prevention I'm totally humbled by, your call on nutrients. I like to ensure skip cycle preps for safe moves but regarding dino tuning if the clean transfer won't prevent them my guesses on nutrients wouldn't be any good. I've watched alexreefer battle them for twelve straight pages, it's amazing how dinos do what they like sometimes. Glad you've got them in line

my best offer would be to charge the new system with a bunch of mixed pods and gammarids from online places that sell refugium kits

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino work and prevention I'm totally humbled by, your call on nutrients. I like to ensure skip cycle preps for safe moves but regarding dino tuning if the clean transfer won't prevent them my guesses on nutrients wouldn't be any good. I've watched alexreefer battle them for twelve straight pages, it's amazing how dinos do what they like sometimes. Glad you've got them in line

my best offer would be to charge the new system with a bunch of mixed pods and gammarids from online places that sell refugium kits
Yeah I don’t wish Dino on anyone!! I was planning an order from Hawaii after I get this rip clean done. It should be just a few days the corals have to be in the 55 then I’ll get back to feeding when they are back in DT.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 55 gallon tank parameters check
All new RODI water 0 tds.
Temp 80
Salinity 1.026
ALK 7.22
Ammonia 0
No3 0
Phosphate 0.00
pH 8.1ish
Im ready to make the swap but I’m wondering if I should dose some nitrogen and phosphate before the move? Tonight is my coral feeding night should I feed them in DT or in the new water?

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have phytofeast and the drain water from frozen fish food to feed the corals. That stuff might do the new tank good right away?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure just a little is ok that new system still has inherent nutrients in the rocks as small bits of organics, that and some feed or nutrient is good start

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back