120 gallon rip clean

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very good quality clear light review. That reef is not eutrophic for sure, I really like how white lights lay bare the fine details. That has a very very mild green algae growth in places but it’s 99% still in balance, which in a large system like that carrying a bunch of fish, getting fed strongly, dinner plate sized corals laying mass, is really hard to keep as clean. That looks stellar even in the current state, fish are fat and healthy, it’s amazing to keep disease at bay in strong stocking levels like that, it really is. That tank is really being asked to carry significant bioloading

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I wanted to use this thread as a reference to help someone.

In follow up, would you say reef dentistry and tank flushing was good/ neutral/ not good

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I wanted to use this thread as a reference to help someone.

In follow up, would you say reef dentistry and tank flushing was good/ neutral/ not good
I would say very good!! A few months ago I had a Cyano outbreak and have been trying my hardest to get rid of it. Now I’m wishing I would of just ripped this apart and saved months of headaches. I still might just do a rip clean.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did use your thread for patterning thank you very much for the update

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without reading the whole thread, you didn’t? Can you summarise?
I have done a few rip cleans. The last one was two years ago when I upgraded tanks. Basically my rip clean is taking the old water to a different tank for the fish and corals then rinse the sand with tap water for hours. scraping the rocks with a knife then spray with hydrogen peroxide rinse with old tank water. I use all new water when I fill the tank. Just salinity and temperature match before the fish and corals go back in. 6 to 8 hours start to finish, slow ramp up lights.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am linking this thread rn to help someone

great job your updates are helping reefing.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank shows the ups and downs in large tank detritus management and it's impacts.

it for sure shows that transferring a system by control of detritus is the safest way. getting to have a yearslong tracking update after true reef tank surgery is rare outcome tracking, this thread is worth $ in preventing lost investments for others with similar jobs.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back