120 gallon rip clean

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and honestly I think yours being used to the motion would be ok with that adjustment and a shorter burn period next few days, say 4 hours total then 6 then 8/whatever your max is

those corals are adapted to fringing reef life. in the home lol nice one. heck of a nice work thread.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bro can cabinets support one million pounds of reef weight lol I have no idea but was wondering-thats a mighty big aquarium!!!!

each time you cook a steak the feeder tentacles will come out. mines a kitchen reef.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hi! That's alot of gunk coming out of that sand! Question, did you regularly vacuum the sand during water changes or was that buildup from not vacuuming? I regularly vacuum my sand but still have buildup in areas under the rocks that I can't get to so I'm thinking about doing a rip clean as well. Thanks

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! That's alot of gunk coming out of that sand! Question, did you regularly vacuum the sand during water changes or was that buildup from not vacuuming? I regularly vacuum my sand but still have buildup in areas under the rocks that I can't get to so I'm thinking about doing a rip clean as well. Thanks
I did not touch the sand since I put it in a few months ago. Most of that sand was Garf Grunge and mud that I bought. I was very surprised how dirty that sand was but did not smell at all.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about ready to start on transferring this deep sand bed refugium we will see if this sand smells and different.
4D0C77E0-1926-42E2-B503-99973120D465.jpeg
415DCC40-B3A5-417E-84C7-A6356EC34E45.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I bet it takes a good ten percent of the mass of sand away after thorough rinse, does it vary at all in size or all is literally dust ?

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I bet it takes a good ten percent of the mass of sand away after thorough rinse, does it vary at all in size or all is literally dust ?
The Oolite sand is kind of heavy but I never rinsed the 160 pounds and almost two years. I’m sure I have 2/3 of what I started with? I just got done rinsing. All of the way down to the bottom I never smelled anything bad.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my bed after three years it was pretty waste heavy but no smell agreed. It was fueling some gha though which is now not a prob

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh okay that makes way more sense! Very nice set up.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon I’m linking this thread for the one bazillionth time. I counted, the reef to reef ticker is just slow

they are repeating your work too, it’s saving reef tanks.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon I’m linking this thread for the one bazillionth time. I counted, the reef to reef ticker is just slow

they are repeating your work too, it’s saving reef tanks.
Well I’ve let my tank go without any maintenance for like 4 months now and I might hit the rip clean again.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it looks great still, I guarantee if that was a DSB system it’d have much more uncontrolled growth, the tank still looks great

the post rip clean condition has been known to spoil folks with unfairly high standards heh but this still looks great as is, when you do it’s fifth rip clean then you’ll have the clarity back but as it sits this is how everyone wants their reef to look it’s worst.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back