125 gallon oceanic seems

let550

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2026
Messages
17
Reaction score
17
Location
nebraska
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a 6 foot oceanic for a really good deal, but starting to see why it was such a good deal. I noticed a couple bubbles along the front vertical seems. I’ve read it’s not really a good idea to inject silicone over old silicone, am I stuck with completely tearing the tank down? Could I get away with just pulling the front pane off? Or could I avoid that all together somehow? A little nervous about tearing it apart but more nervous about 125 gallons of water in my living room.
 
It’s a little harder to see with the lighting but they are pretty decent in length
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0405.jpeg
    IMG_0405.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 48
hmm...looks scary to me...looks like it is about 1/2 way through the thickness of the silicone...
If it was me I would take my time and reseal it and not have to worry about a dam breaking...
I never liked the clear silicone. I like the look of the black
Spend some time researching how to reseal a tank if you are going to do this.
I have seen many video on how they do it and use tape and it provides a clean line...
 
I honestly would not worry about a few bubbles like that in the seams of an old Oceanic tank - especially a 125. They were probably there from the start. People obsess over bubbles, but unless they are growing they are not a problem. I have never heard of an Oceanic tank failing. They were built like tanks with thicker glass than is commonly used today. I definitely would not tear it down.
 
I honestly would not worry about a few bubbles like that in the seams of an old Oceanic tank - especially a 125. They were probably there from the start. People obsess over bubbles, but unless they are growing they are not a problem. I have never heard of an Oceanic tank failing. They were built like tanks with thicker glass than is commonly used today. I definitely would not tear it down.
I guess I’m just worried because one for sure looks like it’s almost through the whole seem
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new