125g Reef Journey

GFX360x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to put a build thread together for a while now. Since we've started and have some time under our belts now, I'll just share the story of our build from when we started up until the present through a few posts.

So, before starting down this road, I had a 75 gallon tank with a Chinese Water Dragon that I thought was the coolest thing ever. After a few years, I came home one day to him face down in the water and honestly over having a reptile. Problem was I had this tank that I didn't want to just unload so I decided to delve into having a fish tank like I did when I was a kid. I looked and looked at freshwater fish and all of them just seemed so boring and bland. I started digging online for more interesting fish and ended up browsing through reef central, youtube and who knows what other sites back then. After about a week and a half of reading everything I could, I decided to start a saltwater tank with a DIY sump I made out of a black rubbermaid and other supplies from hardware stores to try and cut the costs as much as I could. I tried my hand at corals, but 10 years ago, I was in my mid 20's and preferred to have a social life as opposed to practicing good reef tank husbandry. Eventually all of my corals died but I managed to keep my $60 yellow tang alive for a while with a blue hippo tang and a plain old nemo.

When I bought my house a few years later, my tank sat at my parents mostly ignored unless my dad felt bad and threw some food in for an absolute tank of a clownfish I had left. He was dang near invincible. The time had come, my tank was being evicted and I got to move it to my house. (I stupidly added a maroon clown in with him and he beat the snot out of the maroon until it had almost died and I took it back to the LFS) He lasted another 2 months before finally passing and at the time, I spent the week at my other half’s place and would come home on the weekends to take care of my limited responsibilities at home. The tank stayed up and running but had gotten to the point that you couldn't see in through the algae. I didn't feel like dealing with cleaning everything up and storing it all, so I kept the tank topped off and the filter running.

When my other half and I got together, she had tons of questions about the science experiment in my living room which I always shrugged off and would avoid directly addressing because I knew it would turn into a “cleaning out the tank” weekend adventure. Then, one day she put me on blast. I hemmed and hawed and eventually gave in to cleaning everything up just so I could annoy her with the smell of a canister filter that hadn't run in a few months. (she did not appreciate the smell that filled the room after I turned that thing on but god, it was funny) We cleaned the tank up and let it cycle before adding 2 emo nemo's and a blue velvet damsel to the tank.

Fast forward to the end of summer 2022, we’ve combined houses and she decides that she wants to grow coral in addition to the two clownfish and damsel. She spent a lot of her childhood diving off the pacific coast with her dad where they would play with urchins and other sea creatures and enjoyed it. We went back and forth on it for a few weeks, I explained I had tried it before and that it was expensive but didn't want to do it again (while knowing full well that I have an addictive personality and would dive in headfirst if it was encouraged) In what I thought would be a genius move, told her that the 75 gallon tank wasn't big enough and the only way I would consider it was if we had a bigger tank. More water = more stability = less risk of a catastrophic tank grenade. And this is where my plan for opposition failed me.

PXL_20221002_182613182.jpg
[Original tank after deciding to move forward with reef]

A few hours later, she comes to me and nonchalantly tells me that she needs me and my truck to go pick something up. She had spent the last few hours scouring facebook marketplace and procured a 125g tank with a stand for $100 that was 5 minutes away.

Oof, I guess we're really doing this…

We got the tank home and put it together and I checked out the stand for what kind of sump I could run underneath and I found my final out. (or so I thought) I would have to destroy the structural integrity of the stand in order to fit any decent sized sump under the tank. My only solution is to drill holes in the floor and plumb it to the basement. I had done it, I thwarted the efforts to build a reef tank until I got up off the floor and was met with her looking excited at me and saying, “That’s a great idea!” And that is how this all started.

Here is the tank she found:
5304018.jpg
My only regret is not drilling the tank before moving forward with the build. I figure eventually, I’d like to have an even bigger tank so I will deal with the set-up I'm using for now.

PXL_20221002_182633418.jpg
[125g Tank cleaned up and in the house]

I decided to use a DIY weir/overflow design. I had a Tom's Aqualifter pump laying around and knew that the tank would overflow if we didn't have a way to start the siphon back up in the event of a power loss. I had used this design on the 75 gallon tank with my DIY sump before switching to the canister filter I eventually installed. I had also had to clean up a carpet soaked with saltwater from using a rudimentary design with no way to start the siphon without filling the vent pipe and capping it off before opening the ball valve below tank level. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

So far, the only failure I've had with this design is the availability of the Tom's Aqualifter pumps any more. Both times water has ended up on the floor, its been entirely my fault. I used an outdoor drain weir from Lowes and a section of 3" PVC for the overflow. Drilled a hole for the aqualifter in the top of the contraption to auto-start in case of a power failure and ran the plumbing to the basement.

PXL_20221002_223942883.jpg

PXL_20221002_224123789.jpg

Over the next few days, we filled a brute trash can up with rodi and filled the system with sand, new dry rock and fresh salt water.

We moved the clowns and damsel over with all my old live rock with the hope that everything would be fine going to such a big tank with well seasoned live rock that already supported them. Everything went smooth and we eventually added a convict and powder blue tang to the mix with a handful of less expensive corals and an anemone.

Cue first setback and lesson on outlook... Along with the tangs came fish disease, a Sebae Anemone and a not fun time.

She didn't like the fact that the clownfish seemed to like swimming by the overflow at night and insisted on getting them an anemone to host. I had only tried it once in the past. A bubble tip shrunk and disappeared in my tank then showed up months later shriveled up beyond recognition. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now know that anemones are best suited in well established tanks, not new tanks with some seasoned rocks.

PXL_20221016_210450811.jpg
[Old black box and 2/3 smatfarm LED fixtures I wanted to try for the cost]

PXL_20221018_033811379.jpg PXL_20221018_033839209.jpg
PXL_20221106_041834679.jpg PXL_20221016_210507744.MP.jpg

After a few days, the Sebae would put its foot down then randomly start floating around looking for its spot. It never found its spot and would end up upside down on the sand constantly. The clowns wanted nothing to do with it. It was just this floating terrorist we ended up putting in a colander to keep it from floating around and possibly getting caught in a powerhead. Over the course of a few months it shrunk to the point I pulled it out of the tank and got rid of it.

Both tangs ended up in a hospital tank being treated for a bacterial infection that left the convicts mouth hanging open.
PXL_20221027_005210731.MP.jpg PXL_20221027_005226196.jpg

After a few weeks, they made their way back into the display tank where I learned how much of an a**hole my blue velvet damsel was. He was about 2" long and just terrorized both tangs to the point they got ick. I didn't have a great way of keeping the hospital tank ammonia free and had to rush them back into the display because they were both breathing fast and ended up not making it through the next few nights. So our $9 fish killed $200 worth of fish... what a way to learn a few lessons. Needless to say, the blue velvet damsel now lives in the sump.

I'll try and post more of our journey soon :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to put a build thread together for a while now. Since we've started and have some time under our belts now, I'll just share the story of our build from when we started up until the present through a few posts.

So, before starting down this road, I had a 75 gallon tank with a Chinese Water Dragon that I thought was the coolest thing ever. After a few years, I came home one day to him face down in the water and honestly over having a reptile. Problem was I had this tank that I didn't want to just unload so I decided to delve into having a fish tank like I did when I was a kid. I looked and looked at freshwater fish and all of them just seemed so boring and bland. I started digging online for more interesting fish and ended up browsing through reef central, youtube and who knows what other sites back then. After about a week and a half of reading everything I could, I decided to start a saltwater tank with a DIY sump I made out of a black rubbermaid and other supplies from hardware stores to try and cut the costs as much as I could. I tried my hand at corals, but 10 years ago, I was in my mid 20's and preferred to have a social life as opposed to practicing good reef tank husbandry. Eventually all of my corals died but I managed to keep my $60 yellow tang alive for a while with a blue hippo tang and a plain old nemo.

When I bought my house a few years later, my tank sat at my parents mostly ignored unless my dad felt bad and threw some food in for an absolute tank of a clownfish I had left. He was dang near invincible. The time had come, my tank was being evicted and I got to move it to my house. (I stupidly added a maroon clown in with him and he beat the snot out of the maroon until it had almost died and I took it back to the LFS) He lasted another 2 months before finally passing and at the time, I spent the week at my other half’s place and would come home on the weekends to take care of my limited responsibilities at home. The tank stayed up and running but had gotten to the point that you couldn't see in through the algae. I didn't feel like dealing with cleaning everything up and storing it all, so I kept the tank topped off and the filter running.

When my other half and I got together, she had tons of questions about the science experiment in my living room which I always shrugged off and would avoid directly addressing because I knew it would turn into a “cleaning out the tank” weekend adventure. Then, one day she put me on blast. I hemmed and hawed and eventually gave in to cleaning everything up just so I could annoy her with the smell of a canister filter that hadn't run in a few months. (she did not appreciate the smell that filled the room after I turned that thing on but god, it was funny) We cleaned the tank up and let it cycle before adding 2 emo nemo's and a blue velvet damsel to the tank.

Fast forward to the end of summer 2022, we’ve combined houses and she decides that she wants to grow coral in addition to the two clownfish and damsel. She spent a lot of her childhood diving off the pacific coast with her dad where they would play with urchins and other sea creatures and enjoyed it. We went back and forth on it for a few weeks, I explained I had tried it before and that it was expensive but didn't want to do it again (while knowing full well that I have an addictive personality and would dive in headfirst if it was encouraged) In what I thought would be a genius move, told her that the 75 gallon tank wasn't big enough and the only way I would consider it was if we had a bigger tank. More water = more stability = less risk of a catastrophic tank grenade. And this is where my plan for opposition failed me.

PXL_20221002_182613182.jpg
[Original tank after deciding to move forward with reef]

A few hours later, she comes to me and nonchalantly tells me that she needs me and my truck to go pick something up. She had spent the last few hours scouring facebook marketplace and procured a 125g tank with a stand for $100 that was 5 minutes away.

Oof, I guess we're really doing this…

We got the tank home and put it together and I checked out the stand for what kind of sump I could run underneath and I found my final out. (or so I thought) I would have to destroy the structural integrity of the stand in order to fit any decent sized sump under the tank. My only solution is to drill holes in the floor and plumb it to the basement. I had done it, I thwarted the efforts to build a reef tank until I got up off the floor and was met with her looking excited at me and saying, “That’s a great idea!” And that is how this all started.

Here is the tank she found:
5304018.jpg
My only regret is not drilling the tank before moving forward with the build. I figure eventually, I’d like to have an even bigger tank so I will deal with the set-up I'm using for now.

PXL_20221002_182633418.jpg
[125g Tank cleaned up and in the house]

I decided to use a DIY weir/overflow design. I had a Tom's Aqualifter pump laying around and knew that the tank would overflow if we didn't have a way to start the siphon back up in the event of a power loss. I had used this design on the 75 gallon tank with my DIY sump before switching to the canister filter I eventually installed. I had also had to clean up a carpet soaked with saltwater from using a rudimentary design with no way to start the siphon without filling the vent pipe and capping it off before opening the ball valve below tank level. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

So far, the only failure I've had with this design is the availability of the Tom's Aqualifter pumps any more. Both times water has ended up on the floor, its been entirely my fault. I used an outdoor drain weir from Lowes and a section of 3" PVC for the overflow. Drilled a hole for the aqualifter in the top of the contraption to auto-start in case of a power failure and ran the plumbing to the basement.

PXL_20221002_223942883.jpg

PXL_20221002_224123789.jpg

Over the next few days, we filled a brute trash can up with rodi and filled the system with sand, new dry rock and fresh salt water.

We moved the clowns and damsel over with all my old live rock with the hope that everything would be fine going to such a big tank with well seasoned live rock that already supported them. Everything went smooth and we eventually added a convict and powder blue tang to the mix with a handful of less expensive corals and an anemone.

Cue first setback and lesson on outlook... Along with the tangs came fish disease, a Sebae Anemone and a not fun time.

She didn't like the fact that the clownfish seemed to like swimming by the overflow at night and insisted on getting them an anemone to host. I had only tried it once in the past. A bubble tip shrunk and disappeared in my tank then showed up months later shriveled up beyond recognition. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now know that anemones are best suited in well established tanks, not new tanks with some seasoned rocks.

PXL_20221016_210450811.jpg
[Old black box and 2/3 smatfarm LED fixtures I wanted to try for the cost]

PXL_20221018_033811379.jpg PXL_20221018_033839209.jpg
PXL_20221106_041834679.jpg PXL_20221016_210507744.MP.jpg

After a few days, the Sebae would put its foot down then randomly start floating around looking for its spot. It never found its spot and would end up upside down on the sand constantly. The clowns wanted nothing to do with it. It was just this floating terrorist we ended up putting in a colander to keep it from floating around and possibly getting caught in a powerhead. Over the course of a few months it shrunk to the point I pulled it out of the tank and got rid of it.

Both tangs ended up in a hospital tank being treated for a bacterial infection that left the convicts mouth hanging open.
PXL_20221027_005210731.MP.jpg PXL_20221027_005226196.jpg

After a few weeks, they made their way back into the display tank where I learned how much of an a**hole my blue velvet damsel was. He was about 2" long and just terrorized both tangs to the point they got ick. I didn't have a great way of keeping the hospital tank ammonia free and had to rush them back into the display because they were both breathing fast and ended up not making it through the next few nights. So our $9 fish killed $200 worth of fish... what a way to learn a few lessons. Needless to say, the blue velvet damsel now lives in the sump.

I'll try and post more of our journey soon :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Following along! I like the two tangs you have!

Adrian Em

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on getting back into the hobby. Good luck with the tank. Thinking of upgrading to a standard 125g in the near future.

OP
OP
GFX360x

GFX360x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, time flies... I meant to continue updating the thread but life has been crazy. Anywho, where did I leave off?

Added a nice big RODI tank for top offs and water changes - I'd like to plumb a pump to make the ATO refills easier than 5 gallons at a time, but that's not at the top of my priorities.

PXL_20230124_025750267.jpg

So over the next few months, I slowly acquired more fish and coral through tank teardowns, frag swaps, and normal runs to the LFS for supplies. I rearranged the rock a few times in the main tank and ended up setting up 4 more tanks because reefing is addicting. For the most part, after I added a 40w UV sterilizer, I've left the tank alone to do its thing. I'm currently fighting turf algae and have built an ATS while limiting feeding until we get the turf algae in check. I added a reef octopus dc skimmer and am getting ready to move my 152s over to the 120 gallon tank once the dc skimmer break in finishes.

Current stocking in the 125:
Scopas Tang
Sailfin Tang
Foxface
Emo Nemo
Bangaii Cardinal
Flamehawk
Melanarus Wrasse
2 Blue/Green Chromis (remaining of the 6 that were added)
Hermits and Snails
Cleaner Shrimp
Pistol Shrimp
Emerald Crabs
Mixture of zoas, torches, gsp, acans, hammers, duncans and a bleeding apple scoly I'm hoping will recover

This picture is from a few weeks ago, guy was asking about the smatfarm lights and honestly, for the price, you can't get much better. Will probably get those upgraded in the next 12-24 months. Sorry for the dirty glass in a lot of these pictures. Need to get more glass cleaners and haven't been great at getting clean tank pictures with the 11 month old running around the house now, all maintenance tends to happen after lights out. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
PXL_20240201_011246664.MP.jpg

I was able to convince my other half that if she wanted anemones, they would need their own tank and we found a bundle deal on FB marketplace for a 60 cube and a 120. Got those up and running and put a few BTA and rock flowers in her cube. She is thrilled with them except she hates the fact that the clown fish want nothing to do with the anemones. She has taken a liking to sexy shrimp though. There are currently 2 in there and I'm sure as soon as she finds them for a good price, we will have a bunch more.

The 120 I set up has some decent negative space aquascaping (rocks I picked up from a tank shut down - were never wet) and the only fish I've put in there is a purple tang I got for a deal through petco a few months ago. For those of you who don't know, when you order a fish online through petco, they come directly from their supplier in L.A. and never touch the petco water. (We are lucky and have a decent saltwater guy at our local store - not the best, but better than many other stores) I'm sure he is going to be a pain once I'm ready to start adding more fish in that tank.

Here are some pictures of the 60 and 120 going together:
PXL_20230122_202413436.jpg

PXL_20230124_030024315.jpg

PXL_20230129_220419970.jpg
PXL_20230129_220428373.jpg

20g sump for the 60 cube:
PXL_20230129_220436056.jpg

Filling the 60g:
PXL_20230203_015934268.jpg

Was waiting on a solid mounting arm from BRS as I opted to take the pair of 360's for the 120 and put the hydra 26 over the anemone tank.

PXL_20231016_232238309.MP~2.jpg

Arm and light installed:

PXL_20240201_011310409.jpg

Mostly current nem tank photo:

Stock List:
2 Clowns - look to be storm variety
2 Sexy Shrimp
4 RBTA
4 Rockflower Nems
Hermits and Snails
Emerald Crab

PXL_20240201_011306899.jpg

40g I picked up locally with the idea of putting all my softies in (zoas are going crazy in the main display will let them do their thing when I get around to moving them):

Stock List:
2 Ocellaris Clowns
Coral Beauty
Fire Shrimp
Hermits and Snails
Kenya Trees - growing like crazy
Zoas and GSP

PXL_20240201_011318529.MP.jpg

75g predator tank - rescues from an estate in town. (My og saltwater tank back up and running :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:) Still working out whether or not I'm going to tackle the 110g waterbox livestock they still have.

Stock list:
Dwarf Lionfish
Mimic Saddle Puffer

PXL_20240219_045528318.MP~2.jpg

Next post I will include all the tanks cleaned up and pictures with a filter. Hopefully get some livestock moved around as well as finishing up the predator tank - I have some fresh rock cycling to add and I think I am going to add a substrate and would definitely like to run a sump on this tank.

Any questions, please feel free to ask. Also, opinions are welcomed as well.

Last edited:

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GFX360x Quick question about your vertical water tank... did you stencil your water level markings or were they on it? I'm picking up a 200-gallon tank this week and assume there aren't markings on it.

OP
OP
GFX360x

GFX360x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GFX360x Quick question about your vertical water tank... did you stencil your water level markings or were they on it? I'm picking up a 200-gallon tank this week and assume there aren't markings on it.
I just used a sharpie on the existing marks. I struggled to see them when they were white

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a sharpie on the existing marks. I struggled to see them when they were white
After picking up the tank last night, I saw that the raised numbers were molded into the tank and figured that's what you'd done. I opened my mail this morning and there's your reply :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Thanks for commenting back!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back