13.5 Fluval SEA EVO - Aquascape

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I’m pretty close but not so close to getting this build wet. I’ve bought some live rock from my LFS this past weekend. Going to be posting some scapes that I like and would love your opinion. Thanks to you all as always for collaborating!

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rift Valley

D7967230-61FA-4F1C-91F1-DE0DFD7CEA08.jpeg

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this aqua scape here. But I feel it depends on what are you planning to put in the tank. This scape does seem different, especially with the longer rock holding the 2 rocks together
Thanks! Yeah new too I actually love the small cave in the center on this rock. Makes a perfect spot for the Yasha Goby Pistol Shrimp pair! Thinking maybe pipe fish and trying out a sea horse.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what type of reef do you plan on doing? The stack version does not seem to allow much real estate for corals to encrust and grow in the light.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what type of reef do you plan on doing? The stack version does not seem to allow much real estate for corals to encrust and grow in the light.
Not much coral action like torch’s or hammers. Still thinking about what I’m going to do with this build. But to me the rock scape is most important and I go from there!

Last edited:

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@REEFer86 If you do decide to do a seahorse tank, @Equalizer069 is a good source for information and tips. I know if/when I ever decide to do one in the future, I will be deferring to his advice and experience on the subject of keeping Sea Horses.

Also have you seen how much space the two setups take in the tank? I was doing like you the other day with my 10 gallon, and I unfortunately had to abandon my first scape as it was too long. I also abandoned another one for being too wide to fit in the tank. And then the other scapes looked good out of the tank, but inside they either filled in too much space or too little with alot of void space. Even the one I have in, I might tweak the two top rocks ans either take both out, or only keep one but in a different postion then it currently is in, as I feel that the two top rocks are too close to the surface.
20200106_201327.jpg

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can over think an aquascape. I’ve done it myself, had numerous layouts set up on cardboard cut to the size of my tank and took pictures of each but what wasn’t taken into account was sand. Once you put rock on sand you find you can angle rocks differently so I’ve ended up with something completely different and wasted those hours trying to work it out outside of the tank!

With my current one I’ve ended up moving a few bits or adding small bits months down the line due to coral placement.

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@REEFer86 If you do decide to do a seahorse tank, @Equalizer069 is a good source for information and tips. I know if/when I ever decide to do one in the future, I will be deferring to his advice and experience on the subject of keeping Sea Horses.

Also have you seen how much space the two setups take in the tank? I was doing like you the other day with my 10 gallon, and I unfortunately had to abandon my first scape as it was too long. I also abandoned another one for being too wide to fit in the tank. And then the other scapes looked good out of the tank, but inside they either filled in too much space or too little with alot of void space. Even the one I have in, I might tweak the two top rocks ans either take both out, or only keep one but in a different postion then it currently is in, as I feel that the two top rocks are too close to the surface.
20200106_201327.jpg
Looks great! Yeah I measured with a tape measure and it should be good with a good amount of space on all sides! I think I’m going to keep this scape!

OP
OP
REEFer86

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can over think an aquascape. I’ve done it myself, had numerous layouts set up on cardboard cut to the size of my tank and took pictures of each but what wasn’t taken into account was sand. Once you put rock on sand you find you can angle rocks differently so I’ve ended up with something completely different and wasted those hours trying to work it out outside of the tank!

With my current one I’ve ended up moving a few bits or adding small bits months down the line due to coral placement.
Be careful though. You really should be placing the rock on on the glass because the sand could move from underneath it and cause the rock To shift especially if it’s Not cemented together And have a sand sifter in your tank

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful though. You really should be placing the rock on on the glass because the sand could move from underneath it and cause the rock To shift especially if it’s Not cemented together And have a sand sifter in your tank

Good point. It depends on individual circumstances, I don’t have any sand sifters. I use a crushed coral type substrate and find that the spaghetti worms do a fantastic job of keeping it clean. Additionally I do not use much depth of it so there could be as little as a few millimetres under a rock but it still allow angling of it.

Back