$13 DIY Chaeto Grow Light and Chaeto Basket from some recycle materials - saving $100+

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have removed my hang-on-back refugeium for many months. Now, I want to try growing chaeto in one of the back chambers in my FijiCube 32 AIO.

Bought the LED for $13 from Amazon - LED Grow Light
"LBW LED Grow Light, Red Blue Spectrum Grow Light with 4/8/12H Timer and 10 Dimmable Levels, 135 LEDs Plant Grow Lamp for Seedlings, Veg, Bloom and Succulents, Ideal for Under Cabinet Indoor Plants ".

The LWB LED features 3 select-able light spectral modes, White/Red+Blue/Full Spectrum and 10 levels of intensity; timer for 4, 8 or 12 hours cycles. Not bad for $13 value. For growing chaeto, I will choose Red+Blue spectum with full intensity.

Firstly was to build a LED plant grow light that can either attach to or stand freely behind the back of the AIO chaeto chamber. Used the carton that came with the LED, cut an opening tight fitting the Red+Blue LED lighting area (NOT going to use those White leds). -- see photos

02.JPG
01.JPG

03.JPG
04 Mode 1 White spectrum.JPG

05 Mode 2 Red Blue spectrum.JPG
06 Full spectrum.JPG

07 Light behind chaeto chamberl.JPG
08 showing how light standsing behind the chaeto wall .JPG

Secondly, built a chaeto basket out of an empty plastic bottle (I used Tazo fruite passion drink bottle that fits PERFECTLY into my AIO chaeto chamber). Put a removable short stick across top the bottle as a basket handle that also serves as "lid" to keep a large chunk of chaeto overflow or escaping from the bottle. Optional side handles made from plastic tight strips.
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_4082.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG
IMG_4081.JPG

My next experiment will be making an almost identical basket but with fewer holes near the bottom of the basket. Hence, forcing the water flow from top to bottom. However, when the chaeto grows too dense, it may restrict too much of the overall tank water flow. Any thoughts?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
NIce! I always love seeing others' DIYs! I'm not crafty, so I live vicariously through others.

Are you gonna leave the lights on the 12-hour timer (reverse of your tank lights), or are you going to use a smart plug of some sort to turn them on and off? I was curious because with only the red/blue (and 10w total), you might need a little more than 12 hours per day to feed the Chaeto.

Can't wait to see the updates! :)

OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jesse,
My chaeto will arrive next week. Going to set LED on 12-hour cycle reverse of my tank lights. I used to have ACKE that has 40 leds total 12 watts. It performed very well on my HOB refugeium.

This new LBW light has 48 red and 12 Blue and has built-in timer for 4/8/12 hour cycles (so no need of external timer). It's Red spectrum 630-660nm, and Blue 440-460nm. I think the intensity should be OK for growing chaeto.

refugium05.JPG
refugium02.JPG
refugium diy 04.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Haacheew

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a month growth, result comparison.

chaeto start-up on Feb. 28, 2024
IMG_4101.JPG

~ One month later: April 1, 2024. (using 8-hour On cycle with all red leds. Originally planned to use 12-hour night cycle but that might strip off too much nutrients.). So, this diy LWB LED is able to efficiently grow chaeto and meets or exceeds my expectation.
IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4119.JPG

p.s. I bought my chaeto from a r2r member drivingmecrazy. His/her chaeto is very clean. Great communictaion. Recommended!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back