Lighting spectrum?

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all i have a quick question regarding light spectrum. I purchased this black box light off of amazon a week ago "Philizon reef Led with controller." It seemed good as it had a timer and 165w. The problem is you can't adjust the spectrum, only the brightness. It just has three modes Mode 1: (white red and green), Mode 2: (just blue), and mode 3 (a mix of all of them). I have not had any algae growth since setting up my aquarium but my previous lights just were not growing my corals. since setting this light up I have already noticed bits of hair algae and my diatom population exploded.I have been running it on mode 3 which is a mix of white,blue, green, and red on 30% brightness. Im considering turning it to just the blue setting but I don't really like that look as I really like the look of a natural reef. Im wondering if I'm just overthinking or I just wasted a $100. If anyone has any advice weather I should switch it to just blue or leave it that would be really helpful.

Nikorad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, nobody knows anything for sure if they say they do their lying. Every reef has its own type of standards, it’s impossible to know what type of settings everyone should use. Just start with blue and white and work up until you feel comfortable

OP
OP
Blitz06

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the whites and reds down. 1% if possible, 10% otherwise. Crank up the blues to 80%. If things look good in 2 weeks ramp to 90 or 100%.
thats the problem i can't change the % of the color only the brightness. It does however have 3 different modes as I said above. So would you recommend jut putting it on the blue setting?

OP
OP
Blitz06

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, nobody knows anything for sure if they say they do their lying. Every reef has its own type of standards, it’s impossible to know what type of settings everyone should use. Just start with blue and white and work up until you feel comfortable
I wish there was a setting with just blue and white but thank you for the reply I think I'll just leave it for now and if I'm still seeing algae explode I'll probably end up switching it to just blue.

OP
OP
Blitz06

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wholly disagree that adjusting white levels is a algae cure…in theory green algae does use the reds but adjusting light to cure what is actually a water quality issue is poor strategy
I am not trying to cure the algae I was going to use that as a preventative measure so that I don't promote the algae growth. I am just wondering if I should leave it as is or switch to the channel where Ill only have blue light.

OP
OP
Blitz06

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would adjust the light for coral growth/ aesthetics then leave it alone: forever
and just focus on water quality should algae rear it’s ugly head
Okay thank you I just wanted a second opinion.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back