Black Box Lights

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a 40b and I wasn’t getting enough light for my corals. I was running orbit IC leds and I’m on a budget so I bought this philizon reef LED for more brightness. But it only comes with 3 different modes and I can only control the brightness. Is not being able to control the color spectrum a big deal or will that hinder the coral growth? Any feedback would be appreciated.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a 40b and I wasn’t getting enough light for my corals. I was running orbit IC leds and I’m on a budget so I bought this philizon reef LED for more brightness. But it only comes with 3 different modes and I can only control the brightness. Is not being able to control the color spectrum a big deal or will that hinder the coral growth? Any feedback would be appreciated.
ive been using black box ( viparspectra ) for 3+ years. The spectrum that is offered will grow any corals with amazing growth and color's. Ive had great success with them. Go slow as they are powerful.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blitz06

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been using black box ( viparspectra ) for 3+ years. The spectrum that is offered will grow any corals with amazing growth and color's. Ive had great success with them. Go slow as they are powerful.
Thank you, that’s very encouraging I was just worried because people are always running 50-60 blue and 10% white. I am currently running it with the setting that has a mix of white, blue, green, and red at 30%. My other concern is algae in past systems I’ve battled it bad and I’m hoping this light won’t cause a major bloom.

Upvote 0

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that’s very encouraging I was just worried because people are always running 50-60 blue and 10% white. I am currently running it with the setting that has a mix of white, blue, green, and red at 30%. My other concern is algae in past systems I’ve battled it bad and I’m hoping this light won’t cause a major bloom.
i would run more blue than white w very little red. As for the algae, what type of algae? what are your parameters? so i can help you deal w this algae.

Upvote 0

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run my fixture at 70% blue and 1% white.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blitz06

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would run more blue than white w very little red. As for the algae, what type of algae? what are your parameters? so i can help you deal w this algae.
I haven’t gotten it bad in this setup yet but in previous setups struggled horribly with hair algae so far In this setup I’ve got diatoms, light patches of green on the rock, and coraline. My concern is with not being able to turn the whites down that it will cause a major algae bloom. There is a setting on the light with only blue, should I be safe and just use that?

Upvote 0

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t gotten it bad in this setup yet but in previous setups struggled horribly with hair algae so far In this setup I’ve got diatoms, light patches of green on the rock, and coraline. My concern is with not being able to turn the whites down that it will cause a major algae bloom. There is a setting on the light with only blue, should I be safe and just use that?
sounds like ure system is very new and ure no3 and po4 have not stabilized. To beat green hair algae ide do freq water changes. as for that specific fixture im not sure, mine had just a blue channel and white. i would turn down the white and get the nutrients under control. you can get a urchin to eat the gha.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blitz06

Blitz06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sounds like ure system is very new and ure no3 and po4 have not stabilized. To beat green hair algae ide do freq water changes. as for that specific fixture im not sure, mine had just a blue channel and white. i would turn down the white and get the nutrients under control. you can get a urchin to eat the gha.
Yeah for sure thank you I think I’ll just let it be for now and if I notice significant algae growth I’ll switch to just the blue

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back