130 gallon aquarium build with euro bracing!

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently gonna be building a 130 gallon aquarium being 56 inch long, 22 inch width and 24 inch height, i am gonna be using 1/2 inch glass with euro bracing, is it gonna hold? Or should I do bottom bracing aswell as euro bracing? Or would that be overkill? What should the thickness of the glass be for euro bracing?

Sorry this is my first time making quite a decent sized tank Lol

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion you cannot over build/engineer. 1/2” or 5/8” will be fine but more bracing or full top the better.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion you cannot over build/engineer. 1/2” or 5/8” will be fine but more bracing or full top the better.
Thank you, but sadly, i can't get glass which is over 12mm (1/2") from where I live/city, so I guess that i am just gonna do a full top euro bracing, and if I still feel unsafe maybe some bottom bracing aswell, though I am not really a fan of bottom bracing, it takes a lot of water volume, still haven't started the build since my stand is still in the making, stands gonna arrive this week

Ernie Mccracken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12mm should work just fine as long as it's built correctly. A friend of mine has a custom tank very close to that size made with regular 1/2" float glass.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, but sadly, i can't get glass which is over 12mm (1/2") from where I live/city, so I guess that i am just gonna do a full top euro bracing, and if I still feel unsafe maybe some bottom bracing aswell, though I am not really a fan of bottom bracing, it takes a lot of water volume, still haven't started the build since my stand is still in the making, stands gonna arrive this week
According to one calculator 12mm (roughly 1/2") is fine, at least for sides.
This is "free standing" and not braced.
Bracing will sig. stiffen it.
Not sure what do do w/ the bottom but unless your are running any plumbing through it you "could" get 1/2 tempered for it.
glasscalc130.JPG

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
According to one calculator 12mm (roughly 1/2") is fine, at least for sides.
This is "free standing" and not braced.
Bracing will sig. stiffen it.
Not sure what do do w/ the bottom but unless your are running any plumbing through it you "could" get 1/2 tempered for it.
glasscalc130.JPG
Oh, I will be doing plumbing through the sides of the glass, so I guess getting tempered will save me from doing a bottom bracing, thank's!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand arrived today, so, I am going to the store to get the glass, what should be the thickness of the plywood under the aquarium? I thought of getting a 1/2mm one and then put a 1 inch thermocol on, what do you guys think?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back