13g tank

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13g fluval flex I am currently on week 3 of cycling.. first 2 weeks were great, started getting diatoms and so on.. Week 3 though the water is so cloudy with a greenish tint & you can barely even see the live rock inside. I’ve been reading about what to do, and I’m not sure if it’s an algae bloom or bacterial bloom?? Do I do a water change or let it run its course? I rinsed out the filter media, do I need to change it? Also do I need to post my parameters?

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13g fluval flex I am currently on week 3 of cycling.. first 2 weeks were great, started getting diatoms and so on.. Week 3 though the water is so cloudy with a greenish tint & you can barely even see the live rock inside. I’ve been reading about what to do, and I’m not sure if it’s an algae bloom or bacterial bloom?? Do I do a water change or let it run its course? I rinsed out the filter media, do I need to change it? Also do I need to post my parameters?
IMG_6931.jpeg

here is a picture

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have diatoms in my 25 year mature tank and I consider them a healthy bioindicator.

white cloudy water is normally a bacteria bloom, green water is an algae bloom / phytoplankton.

At three months, I would do little aside from 10% partial water change. Consider adding more circulation or an air stone. What livestock is in this tank?

Granulated activated carbon or protein skimming would assist with bacteria bloom. UV would assist with green water.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything to the water to make it green? Personally I would turn off the lights for now while the tank cycles.

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have diatoms in my 25 year mature tank and I consider them a healthy bioindicator.

white cloudy water is normally a bacteria bloom, green water is an algae bloom / phytoplankton.

At three months, I would do little aside from 10% partial water change. Consider adding more circulation or an air stone. What livestock is in this tank?

Granulated activated carbon would assist with bacteria bloom. UV would assist with green water.

Granulated activated carbon or protein skimming would assist with bacteria bloom. UV would assist with green water.
I will definitely try more circulatuon. There is currently nothing in the tank as I was a little scared to add anything only 2-3weeks in!! I have a media bag with activated carbon running now!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely try more circulatuon. There is currently nothing in the tank as I was a little scared to add anything only 2-3weeks in!! I have a media bag with activated carbon running now!
“you can barely even see the live rock inside“

Please detail your startup. Also detail how you seeded nitrification bacteria. Detail live rock source.

I use uncured diver collected live rock when starting a tank.

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“you can barely even see the live rock inside“

Please detail your startup. Also detail how you seeded nitrification bacteria. Detail live rock source.

I use uncured diver collected live rock when starting a tank.

I used a box of caribsea life rock(had it in a different tank that I broke down) , and used all new sand. I made sure to rinse sand in r/o water really well before adding.. I used seachem prime and stability and followed new tank directions on the bottle

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a box of caribsea life rock(had it in a different tank that I broke down) , and used all new sand. I made sure to rinse sand in r/o water really well before adding.. I used seachem prime and stability and followed new tank directions on the bottle
For whatever reason, the bacteria density is insufficient and micro algae density have gained the advantage and tinted the water green. Green water needs light and bacteria doesn’t.

Two post have already suggested turning off the lighting. Make that three post that suggested turning off the light.

OP
OP
T

Trenton0115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, the bacteria density is insufficient and micro algae density have gained the advantage and tinted the water green. Green water needs light and bacteria doesn’t.

Two post have already suggested turning off the lighting. Make that three post that suggested turning off the light.
Consider it done!! Should I wait a little bit before changing the water?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Trenton0115
I am not familiar with the media that you are using.

Granulated activated carbon will absorb impurities in the water which are fueling phyto growth.

Protein skimming will remove phyto from water column.

For your size tank a 10% water change weekly is a good routine. Yes, I would replace carbon media which should polish water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back