i over dosed live phytoplankton

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now my tank is cloudy and has green tint. Its been like this for 3 days... should i do water change? will copepods eat them? I just ordered galaxy pod from algae barn.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes and or a cheap UV. The UV will be the most effective. I like to keep a spare one in my equipment drawer

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there...

UV and wet skimming are the quickest.

If you don't mind it taking a while go pick up some fresh clams from a seafood market and throw them in your sump. Cheap, effective, but slow. Then when they are done they are nice and gut loaded, ready to be frozen and ground into fish food.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if they will consume most of it so it get clear again?
Eventually maybe, or maybe your tank stays green for months. As suggested, uv/ water changes speed things up. As a whole, not a horrible thing-pods will get a boost. But I wouldn't wait for them to clear the tank on their own

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really sticking around? I guess you don't have a lot of skimming/mechanical filtration/filter feeders around - I can dose a few hundred mL to my system and have it clear in 30 mins :grinning-face-with-sweat:

It shouldn't harm things, even in terms of blocking out light for other phytosynthetics it shouldn't be too bad, and it should promote explosive growth of copepods, so if you've got any microfauna in your system, they should be able to take care of it. Heavier skimming, mechanical filtration with a very fine filter sock (<10 micron), or just a water change will get rid of it, but I would just leave it and let whatever can eat it pig out for a while.

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really sticking around? I guess you don't have a lot of skimming/mechanical filtration/filter feeders around - I can dose a few hundred mL to my system and have it clear in 30 mins :grinning-face-with-sweat:

It shouldn't harm things, even in terms of blocking out light for other phytosynthetics it shouldn't be too bad, and it should promote explosive growth of copepods, so if you've got any microfauna in your system, they should be able to take care of it. Heavier skimming, mechanical filtration with a very fine filter sock (<10 micron), or just a water change will get rid of it, but I would just leave it and let whatever can eat it pig out for a while.
its a new tank

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but is there anything alive in it? The introduction of nearly anything that's been in another tank will bring some microfauna most of the time, and if there really wasn't anything in there, there's probably no benefit from dosing phyto at all.

OP
OP
Aiptaisia anemone

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but is there anything alive in it? The introduction of nearly anything that's been in another tank will bring some microfauna most of the time, and if there really wasn't anything in there, there's probably no benefit from dosing phyto at all.
its a 4 gallon tank with 4 macro algae, 2 gorgs and 1 xenia and 3 yellow cucumbers cuz they split

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 4 gallon tank with 4 macro algae, 2 gorgs and 1 xenia and 3 yellow cucumbers cuz they split
So that piece of info would have been awesome to include in your first post.

If it is just a 4 gallon then I would just do a 2 gallon change each day until it is clear again.

Moving forward, I would not worry about dosing phyto if that is all that is in there. Gorgeous and Xenia will both filter particulates from the water column.

Edit: if you are going to keep dosing live phyto, in 4 gallons you only need less than an mL per day.

Last edited:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phyto dosed is already increasing your microfauna population, then, it's not a waste to add it when there is some livestock.

I'd just keep the dose low and ride it out. Waterchanges will clear it up, but imo not required.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything don’t waste what you paid for by filtering out the phyto with mechanical or UV. Let it ride. If the tank is new and has some filter feeders you’re gonna get an explosion of micro life which is a good thing. Shading caused by the phyto won’t hurt anything. I would presume you have some pods or various types already in tank that rode in with your gorgonias

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be able to just do a simple water change . Virtually impossible to over dose to where it would be a negative effect on your reef system

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back