15 gal Salt water tank

fishfish2468

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a filter, live sand, testing kits, live rock, mixing salt, and a refractometer. what else do I still need to start the tank and what are the best sizes and brands to use? Also, can I just use tap water to mix the salt in and add chemicals?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
powerheads to move water over rocks are extremely important, its how the biofilter works in a salt tank.

You should also get an auto-top off, it makes life a lot easier.

Personally, just me, I think its a big mistake to build a salt tank with tap water. You will be spending several hundred dollars or even thousands to build your tank, don't cheap out on a $100 rodi unit.

You're starting list looks good, but there will be a million little things to buy along the way, take your time.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a filter, live sand, testing kits, live rock, mixing salt, and a refractometer. what else do I still need to start the tank and what are the best sizes and brands to use? Also, can I just use tap water to mix the salt in and add chemicals?
what test kits? is it ocean live rock or the caribsea stuff? if its the latter, id return it and get ocean live rock after you start the tank. whats the gallons per hour rating of the filter? if it is atleast like 20x turnover, you can go without powerheads for some time. if you have very pure tapwater, that has low tds (like below 100 tds), pvc pipes, (no copper) and nothing else really , you can use it. if not, its basically a death sentence for your tank. what is your budget for your tank? a 15 gallon tank is going to cost around $500

OP
OP
F

fishfish2468

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what test kits? is it ocean live rock or the caribsea stuff? if its the latter, id return it and get ocean live rock after you start the tank. whats the gallons per hour rating of the filter? if it is atleast like 20x turnover, you can go without powerheads for some time. if you have very pure tapwater, that has low tds (like below 100 tds), pvc pipes, (no copper) and nothing else really , you can use it. if not, its basically a death sentence for your tank. what is your budget for your tank? a 15 gallon tank is going to cost around $500
I got the API saltwater master kit and the API Reed master kit. I got 30 gallon filter. and ill most likely end up buying a RODI system

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the API saltwater master kit and the API Reed master kit. I got 30 gallon filter. and ill most likely end up buying a RODI system
return those test kits, they wont do anything for you. get the salifert kit (if you want to test) & a brs rodi

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do yourself a favor and get a Ro unit and mix your own water. Get a bucket, cheap power head and cheap heater for mixing your own saltwater. A tank that size can easily be handled with manual top off for water evaporation. The only thing else I would add for filtration is a hang on protein skimmer. I would suggest one that is rated for a slightly larger tank like a 25g. This isn’t needed day one but should be added when the bioload increases. Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back