150 rubbermaid stock tank as holding tank questions

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the 150 rubbermaid stock tank. I'm in the planning stages for moving an established tank to this holding tank in the next few months. Have a few questions with the direction I should go on some of the equipment.

1. Skimmer. Should I build a platform to set the skimmer inside or find some sort of tank/plastic tub the skimmer can sit in inside the rubbermaid tank? I would probably add heaters into the skimmer box if I put some sort of bucket/tub/tank to hold the skimmer.

2. ATO. I'm wondering where to put the pressure sensor since this rubbermaid would act like a display tank and have no sump. If I was able to fix a 1" PVC tube to the wall of the rubbermaid and have the sensor inside of that to keep the water relatively non-turbulent and algae out?

3. Sump. Any easy way to actually add a sump to these tanks? It would take away #1 and #2 and probably other stuff I haven't thought of yet.

The rest of it I just assume I will set up like any other regular display tank. I will have to find some use for the bulkhead on the bottom of the rubbermaid which I will replace with a better one. Thought about even using an external return pump as a closed loop flow system, or shut it off with a valve.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS doesn't have the schedule 80 thread x thread I was looking for stocked. I found another thread on here someone used a 3" Banjo branded bulkhead for this tank. I don't think I want to drill any holes in it but saw they offer a 1" bulkhead as well. Think I will give that one a try. It looks heavy duty, and I'll add a ton of the thread sealant to it, lol. Disaster if that leaked.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 150g Rubbermaid stock tank for my quarantine tank when I quarantined all my fish from my 260g. I used a canister filter for filtration and the ato sensor was on the opposite end, where the flow wasn't too turbulent, and since I was using medications, no skimmer, but lots of air pumps to maximize oxygenation.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of adding a Jebao DCP return pump to use externally, plumbed to the bulkhead vs simply closing it off with a valve for now. Will have two Jebao powerheads, tunze powerhead and a gyre to use in there so not sure I need it for closed loop type of flow. Probably cheaper to just cap it off?

Getting close to the time I'll be using this thing. Will have to drill the original bulkhead hole to 2.25" and attach the banjo branded heavy duty one to it.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to drill out the bulkhead hole a bit larger to 2.25" using hole saw. No luck there. Can't get it to take without the drill bouncing all over and chopping it up. Think a grinding bit is a reasonable option to sand out the hole until the new bulkhead fits?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back