150 sc aquarium build thread

addictedtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im upgrading from 120 to 150 gallon new aquarium for my birthday!! We are building stand from 2 inch angle iron coated well with rubberized paint based on last stand I had. The bottom of tank will sit on plywood across to form solid base. Im also getting 10mm eva foam for underneath tank. I did confirm with sc aquarium and was told that would be a good base. When hubby gets the stand welded will show pics. I purchasing it predrilled in back for 16 inch synergy overflow but have not heard good things about thst box so am having a modular marine 16 inch box custom made to fit the holes. Any thoughts or experiences you may have had so far about what I have proposed so far?

20221221_141606.jpg

OP
OP
A

addictedtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting fancy with sump. Ordering black plexiglass for baffles. I need to find out what size space a red sea 1200 needs? Going to partition off that area with holes in acrylic to next compartment skimmer. Does anyone know what inside aquarium dimension will accomodate red sea 1300 roller mat?

Attachments

• 20221229_161215.jpg
    20221229_161215.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
A

addictedtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting fancy with sump. Ordering black plexiglass for baffles. I need to find out what size space a red sea 1200 needs? Going to partition off that area with holes in acrylic to next compartment skimmer. Does anyone know what inside aquarium dimension will accomodate red sea 1300 roller mat?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Following along :) I also have a sca150 and made my sump. Not sure if it will help much but my build is all documented. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
A

addictedtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along :) I also have a sca150 and made my sump. Not sure if it will help much but my build is all documented. Best of luck to you!
thank you I will check it out if I can figure out how. I was going to buy black acrylic and make my own panels. Do you think the sump kit you got would be better? I figure if I purchase acrylic I can design my own and fix mistakes I made in last 2 I did. Using a 55 gallon. Order is socks or roller, baffles with holes drilled in it for water flow thru and not over, 2nd compartment skimmer, 3 baffles under over and under so I can clean better and do not have waterfall bubbles on 3rd baffle, pump, 2 baffles under and over for refugium to empty into pump chamber. Again trying to eliminate waterfall bubbles into my pump chamber which has a feed to it. This is a modification of sump I did 3 yeats ago with hopefully better results and less bubbles.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you click on the "build thread contributor" badge under my name it will link you to it. I also went with a roller mat instead of socks and have 0 regrets so far. I'm sure you could build the same grade sump as the kits I have used, I just ordered them for convenience sake. I used the exotic marine sump kit for my 75g sump and fiji sump kit for my 40g sump. Basically the same thing. As long as you have your measurements correct you'll be good. Just be sure to have room for expansion between the baffles and glass. I run my roller mat and skimmer in the first chamber, then fuge and then return area. Let me know if you need any help with your upgrade:)

OP
OP
A

addictedtoreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I will look. I really want the roller mat now after reading reviews and doing socks the last 4 years. Dont mind washing them but if it keeps water clearer it would be worth it. I feed heavily and have lots of fish and coral.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks I will look. I really want the roller mat now after reading reviews and doing socks the last 4 years. Dont mind washing them but if it keeps water clearer it would be worth it. I feed heavily and have lots of fish and coral.
100% agreed

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back