150g Cube Build

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along, beautiful tank and great work so far... I'm pretty interested in your canopy style, wondering if you have a more detailed view of that? sorry, just looking to build a canopy myself and gathering ideas.

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following along, beautiful tank and great work so far... I'm pretty interested in your canopy style, wondering if you have a more detailed view of that? sorry, just looking to build a canopy myself and gathering ideas.
No problem, happy to help. It's a front opening style canopy. I attached a couple pictures, let me know there is anything else you need.
IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow! Quite scary have that much screw under the canopy o_O humidity + screw over water= :eek:

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow! Quite scary have that much screw under the canopy o_O humidity + screw over water= :eek:
Thanks for following. Most of the hardware that I use is stainless, not that that is failproof, but what is the concern? That the screws will rust and then flake into the tank or that the screws will fall into the water?

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I find it intresting your main light will be led? And you supplement with t5? I will be doing the opposite. Lol!
Great build. Keep it up.
D
In the past I have had a tank with all T5s and a tank with Halides and T5s. I want to give LEDs a shot with the lower energy and heat advantages and the fixture I'm looking at is about 19"x19". I couldn't fit two of those fixtures in the canopy so I figured I fill in the space with T5s. I know that some people are having great success with LEDs and I figure that T5s can only help. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following. Most of the hardware that I use is stainless, not that that is failproof, but what is the concern? That the screws will rust and then flake into the tank or that the screws will fall into the water?
Yeah with humidity some rusty/drops will fall in to the tank water i guess

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a few weeks since my last post so I thought I'd make an update. My tank was hit with new tank syndrome pretty hard a couple of weeks ago so a got a small clean up crew consisting of 25 trochus and 25 margarite snails and they went to work and killed it. Within 3 days my rocks went from looking brown to bleached white again. Unfortunately, the coralline algae hasn't started blooming yet but hopefully soon. I also got three more lyretail anthias(for a total of 6), two mocha clownfish(one died due to shipping), 2 skunk shrimp and one blood red shrimp.
IMG_2122.JPG

In an attempt to increase biodiversity in my tank, I started a phytoplankton and copepod culture setup from Poseidon phytotank. Its been a fun little project and I've had 3 successful harvests so far.
IMG_2060.JPG

I also finally got my hands on some chaeto for my refugium. I decided to take a chance on the new Neptune refugium GRO light. The fact that it didn't need to take up outlet space on my apex was very appealing to me, I hope it works out.
IMG_2129.JPG

Lastly, I'm a little on the fence about my future lighting situation. The original plan was to use the Straton LED fixture but because of its unavailability, I may just end up using the 8x24w T5 ATI Sunpower fixture. I'm getting a little tired of waiting an am eager to start stocking some coral. Below are a couple of my lighting option layouts.
reef lights w ATI Straton and retrofit.png

reef lights w ATI Sunpower and reefbrites.png

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May update:
I got tired of waiting for the ATI Straton to come back in stock, and decided to go with the dimmable ATI sunpower. I mounted the fixture on a couple of drawer slides to make it easier to service the fixture an change bulbs. The two holes are for the fixture fans and I also cut two more holes for exhaust fans that are pointing upward.
IMG_2153.JPG

I moved the retrofit T5s around and added 3 OR3-60's. I know it's overkill, but it will give me a lot of options and eliminate dark spots.
IMG_2177.JPG

All of the light fixture cords are fed through a 2" sleeve to the garage on the other side of the wall and are controlled by another EB832
IMG_2233.JPG

I'm still playing with lighting intensities and bulb configurations which has been a fun challenge. I also bought a PAR meter to help me home in on my desired intensity.

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely I've been acquiring some coral here and there. Here are a few tank pics
IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

It appears that the largest of the female anthias is starting to transform into a male. Below is before picture.
IMG_2196.JPG

And now she's starting to develop red on the tips of her dorsal and pectoral fins
IMG_2228.JPG

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, my wonderful wife surprised me with an early birthday present when I got home from work today. A battlebox from Battlecorals.com. I'm so happy with the frags that I got, and they all look great.
IMG_2223.JPG

I glued little numbers on them so that I could keep track of their names.
1. Miss Scarlet
2. Battle de Fuego
3. Mr Neutron
4. Blood Bank
5. Happy Glamper
6. Fox Flame
7. Rainbow Brite
8. Flamethrower Table
9. Clean Tangerine
10. Hyperberry
11. Kermit Song
12. Greg C efflo

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur rock looks like its really starting.to.develop
D
Yeah its finally comin around, at least it's not white anymore. I've been trying real hard to get lots of biodiversity and micro fauna in the last month. I got a large assortment of organisms from indo pacific sea farm which has really helped out.

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June Update:
I added a powder blue tang to the tank and he's been a model citizen so far. The yellow tang has been a little territorial but nothing to worry about yet. The SPS in the tank are doing really well and spreading their bases pretty quickly. Alkalinity consumption is rapidly going up and I've since started dosing Kalk with an Ecotech Versa dosing pump. My next challenge is to get rid of all the microbubbles in my tank. It's strange because before adding a CO2 scrubber to my Skimmer a couple weeks ago, I didn't have any microbubbles. I'm not sure why it's making my skimmer perform so differently but I'm trying to figure out a solution without getting rid of the scrubber.
IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG
IMG_2289.JPG
IMG_2291.JPG

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back