Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas and mushrooms super colorful and are softies
lol you have your cats n i have my daughter she likes to turn my return pump either all the way on low or all the way max gph so i gotta make sure to lock it
That made me smile XD I don't have trouble with mine unless I leave the doors open to air out the sump area.

So this guy had a ton of calcium supplement bottles, but no magnesium...and I'm out of the one I bought. Yay.

I have an extremely close friend who is having a really hard time right now, so I have to make that my priority for this next month. Hopefully the one after that will give me an opportunity to catch up on what I need to buy for the tank.

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no MG what!! i have one but im all the way in rialto :3 awh im sorry for your friend

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good news and sad news. Good news, I was able to help my friend. Sad news, I have come to the conclusion that this 150g is just too big for me to maintain. I have to sell it and downgrade.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank us still here, and I'm still fighting for it....my fiancee has been a Godsend, encouraging me and helping me care for it....

I'm so tired of the constant pain...losing my psych meds has not helped... figure I just gotta hang in there. My RODI filters need replacing...more money out that we don't have :/ they just raised the apt rent again without fixing anything.

Trying not to cry.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this, Eienna . . . I hate it when everybody I owe money to seems to be getting a raise ... but I'm not.

Hoping you find those meds - and a way to turn the tank around!

~Bruce

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank us still here, and I'm still fighting for it....my fiancee has been a Godsend, encouraging me and helping me care for it....

I'm so tired of the constant pain...losing my psych meds has not helped... figure I just gotta hang in there. My RODI filters need replacing...more money out that we don't have :/ they just raised the apt rent again without fixing anything.

Trying not to cry.

Praying for you! Keep your head up and be on the lookout for relief!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo I'm pretty happy with how my tank is doing. There is entirely too much algae in the display, but I've been moving it down to my sump and with any luck it'll lend a...frond? to help me deal with this problem of sky-high nitrates. Corals seem happy, and I haven't broken anything for a while unless you count the blue channel on my leds; it's mysteriously stopped working.

No more fish deaths since the sudden incident with the butterfly.

The Aiptaisia are gone. Berghias FTW!!

So yeah, I'm still fighting some problems, but it's a great deal better than it was. Onwards I go!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally siphoned two of the three remaining polyps off on my frogspawn -_-;; oops. Nothing I can do now. Think I might stick to softies for s while.

I think I forgot to mention our new Mandarin dragonet. He was brought home somewhat skinny, and QT'd for a month with all the frozen my sis he could eat. So far in the big tank he has maintained his figure well while growing bigger. I don't know if he's actually eating the pellets or not, but whatever he's finding appears to be sufficient. If I notice him losing condition I'll get some bottles of pods and frozen brine.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested day before yesterday to find out that my alk was at 6 O.O;; I'm so tired of messing up I could scream. However, it looks like the corals are recovering, so yay for that!! I didn't test for a while because I've been really sick and unable to do much. I need to rig up a gravity-feed top off, and figure out how much alk/cal/mag solution should be in it, I think.

The algae is now running wild. I'm working on fixing that, and was planning on a tang for Christmas so I can stop scrubbing it off from around my corals. No good. Found out my test kits expired six months ago, so I have to replace them first. I also have to replace my RODI prefilters the month after. No new fish for me for a while. At least all the existing occupants are doing well - I think my Mandarin Dragonet has been eating the NLS small fish pellets, 'cause he's starting to get downright chunky! XD

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20161212_180619.jpg

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, sooooo......
I got a new yellow tang for Christmas. I have no delusions that he will solve my algae problem, and I AM working in other fixes at the same time as my body allows, but hopefully he will help me keep the corals from getting choked until I get things in line. I have almost all my test reagents replaced (waiting on NO3 and PO4, since I have been working out how to handle my my calcium, mag, and alk properly.) My RODI prefilters will be changed shortly, as well. Bad news? Skimmer pump broke its impeller and a new one is $50. Does anyone have a used one in good condition that I could buy off you for less?

Something happened, though, that will leave a lasting impression on me. I got a yellow tang for Christmas, and decided to test the quarantine water before releasing him. I was shocked. Despite the salinity being perfect, the KH was 6 and calcium and magnesium were both overly low as well. I tried to fix it and spiked it off the map. I ended up mixing up a new batch with a fresh bag of salt, since the original one I used had been damaged by moisture (probably why it wasn't mixing up properly.) I changed half the water, then acclimated him. He ate the day after being released, then suddenly stopped. The last time that happened, I woke up to a dying fish (my butterfly) and was not about to repeat that experience. I tested again. The water had spiked back up to an alk of 13.6, and that's assuming I turned the sample the right color before noting the number. I changed half the water again, and he is now eating (from what I can tell, anyway. Can't be 100℅ because he hides if I get too close.) Whew! That was entirely too close for comfort. When using that 10g tank I will always test the water before adding it from now on. I suspect that it explains what happened to my Klein's Butterfly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a heck of an Alk-spike! Yike! Glad you've got it ironed out, at least for now.

BTW, the video is telling me that it's "private"...

~Bruce
I couldn't fix it on mobile, so I just reuploaded it. Here you go n____n

His name is Morgan, and he comes from my favorite LFS, Deep Sea Creations in Temecula, CA.

Honestly, I'm just glad he's okay. I've been terrified since I lost the butterfly, since I never knew what killed it. I just knew that it stopped eating the night before, then BAM, dead. When this guy stopped eating though visibly healthy like that, it scared the crap outta me.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is with great sadness that I announce I am leaving the reef keeping hobby until further notice. My health is worsening and my financial situation isn't much better.

I plan to convert my current aquarium to fresh water. If you want to follow that, I'll be at fishlore.com/forums under the same name. Please check my sale thread here if you want something from my tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that, Eienna - but you've gotta do what's right for you.

There's much joy to be found in the tranquility of a well 'scaped and maintained freshwater tank, and I hope you find it!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I'm sorry to hear that, Eienna - but you've gotta do what's right for you.

There's much joy to be found in the tranquility of a well 'scaped and maintained freshwater tank, and I hope you find it!

~Bruce
Thank you, and you're right. I used to watch my old freshwater when talking about difficult things, and it calmed me. It's not the same with a reef. A reef has more of an exciting key, and that's not quite what I need. I've also dealt with frustration and depression because I just can't quite get ahead of the problems.

It's best for me and the animals in my care. I wasn't ready to admit that before, but...I am now.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back