150W MH or 96 Watt T5?

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so someone in my local club wants to trade me lights. I have a Current USA 150W Mh. He wants to trade me for a 4x24W T5s fixture. I really one have zoas and LPS. The tank is 20" wide, water is at 16" top of tank is 18" deep. It is rimless so there is a gap. Will the T5s be enough to maintain my reef? I need you advice. I do have a evaporation issue because of the fans to keep the tank temps right. Evaporation during the summer is almost a gallon a day on a 28 gallon tank. What do you guys think?

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely worth the trade especially if you only have lps and cant keep sps for the life of you.:)It will definitely be enough light for your tank.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an e-mail from him.1 kz fiji purple, 2 ati blue plus, 1 ati blue special.
That is a very good bulb config and definitely worth the trade and will definitely help out with your heating issues.I see a lot more pros than cons in this trade:)

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very good bulb config and definitely worth the trade and will definitely help out with your heating issues.I see a lot more pros than cons in this trade:)

Well I told him about the bulb and the extra bulb I have for it. Lets see what he says. I will do it if he still wants to trade.

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup,yup do it! but its just my $.02!... cheaper, cooler, and the par is there for the depth... go for it!

OP
OP
BlazinNano

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he still wants to trade how do I acclamte the tank to the new light. Right now the bottom of my fixture is 5" from the top of the water. Where do I need to do with the T5s if I get them?

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put them up the same height if possible if not a little higher then move them down over time. T5's will surprise you! One major awesome feature is the even growth b/c the light is everywhere. I Agree with skimmate totally I was just cutting to the chase ahahhaha

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong by shortening for a half hour on each side of timer. Just keep an eye out. Did you get an ATO?

Back